matjoss

JVC DR-MH20 DVD RECORDER & 80GB HARD

Hello, cany anybody help me. I know nothing about cctv and recording it but since I have had all my new garden furniture stolen I have decided to get some survailance. What I want to do is buy a hard drive recorder with a dvd ram player as above. My questions are as follows.

1 - Is it possible to have the cctv recording 24hours a day and still watch a dvd at the same time?

2 - I want 2 cctv cameras set up, can a single chanel hard drive recorder like the above record both signals at the same time or do I need some extra hardware?

3 - Can I record onto a dvd the cctv footage that has been previously been recorded onto the hard drive while it is still recording the cctv footage?

Any help would be much appreciated before I go out and buy a lot of useless rubbish

Thankyou.

Matt.

Hi, CCTV and DVD recording are 2 different things.

You need a multiplexer to record more than one camera video signal at one time individually. Nowadays you get a multiplexer and DVR all in one, as a stand alone embedded unit (running linux or similar), or a PC card that can be used in a windows PC. Either way it must be a dedicated unit so NO you cant do anything else on the DVR.

If you buy a stand alone embedded DVR such as a GE or other, that comes with a DVD then yes you can use a DVD to record it to. Otherwise if you use a PC Card you can use an installed PC DVD Recorder, or any other PC back up device. It would be considered back up, and you can back up recorded video while it is recording, for most DVRs.

For 2 cameras, you will need a 4 channel DVR, or a 4 channel PC DVR card.

Rory

Hi Rory thanks for the reply.

I just want to clarify in my own mind what a hard drive recorder can or cant do.

I know I can get a dvr that will do the lot but I don't have the money to spend just for surveillance well the missus wont let me ...lol

If I put it to her in the way of having a hard drive recorder doing the cctv bit with a dvd player we could have it in our bedroom and she could play dvd's whilst the hard drive records cctv. We have a DVD RAM recorder downstairs and you can only play them on compatible DVD RAM machine I don't think there are any DVR's that would play DVD RAM disks.

My DVD RAM recorder can record TV and play the recording at the same time this is why I thought a hard drive recorder would be able to do the same?

Would I be able to connect via scart the camera to the hard drive recorder full stop (using 1 camera) or is this not possible?

I could put up with stopping the cctv while I record from the hard drive but I would want to be able to watch DVD's as it records.

Another question you might be able to help on is if I had a wireless camera can you have it received by 3 different receivers? So I could view it on the TV, PC and recording it (upstairs).

also is there much degrading in the picture quality to go wireless?

I would be very grateful for any help you can give me.

Thanks.

Matt.