Sign in to follow this  
hubjeep

Linux based cards?

Hello,

are inexpensive Linux based card available, my two home computers are running Linux, thinking about building a third for a DVR, will go windows if necessary.

This may make some of you cringe, but it appears to have fairly good reviews, runs on Windows though.

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Channel-Security-Surveillance-System/dp/B0044R75JE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316604561&sr=1-1&tag=5336653613-20

Thanks,

John

love linux but 90% of dvrs seem to run on activex controls which are entirely windows based and generally only seem to work with ie im new to the forums so feel free to take this with a grain of salt

Thanks tomahawk,

I had a feeling that would be the case.

Perhaps building an XP machine? and using a card like that would be the way to go. Or just buy one of those ready-made dedicated DVR's from BJ's or something [wanting to keep cost down... not too serious about this, just nice to see when someone comes in the driveway from the PC]?

If you just want to know when someone's in the driveway, then a boxed BJ's DVR will probably be fine.

If you want to identify that person, then get a more substantial DVR.

A store bought DVR would be an option, more fun to build a PC though.

Would the software included with that card I posted a link to above and the card be all I would need in a Win PC to connect a few cameras?

Thanks,

John

If you just want a single camera to monitor your driveway from your PC, have you considered ploughing your entire budget into a megapixel IP camera? For what it would cost to build a dedicated PC or buy a camera and DVR you could have a single Ip camera on your existing PC and you could save yourself a LOT of wiring headaches by going wireless.

If you just want a general view of the drive and are not worried about close ups or high resolution, get a Foscam wireless IP camera. DEAD CHEAP, easy to install and not bad for the money Do check if they have Linux software I think they do.

Just a thought !