jdowning

Video Transceiver + Wiring

Hi all!

I am installing a CCTV system for my restaurant. I posted a thread a while back but I didn't really get confirmation of what I need.

I own a large building and it's difficult to get wiring to everywhere from one location.

In my yard, there's a large garage where around 5 cameras will be going back there.

From this garage, I have 5 CAT5e cables running from there to my office in my house nearby (around 10 metres from it).

In another part of the building where the car park is, I have 4 cameras which need access to the DVR.

What I'm wondering is this:

Can I buy 2 x these:

[edit by mod-store link removed]

Can I put one of these in the garage - plug baluns into the coaxial inputs on these and have 2 x CAT5e going to the office where the DVR will be located.

Can I put one of these where near the car park is - plug baluns into the coaxial inputs and have 2 x CAT5e going to the office where the DVR is located.

I want to power everything by CAT5e aswell so I would have a power box in each of these locations.

At the DVR end, I will have 4 CAT5 cables which are carrying 4 video signals each. How do I plug these into the DVR? Do I need some type of 'receiver' or can I just strip the wire back and use the pair which the certain video signal is on.

Thank you very much for your help.

Jack

Can I buy 2 x these:

Can I put one of these in the garage - plug baluns into the coaxial inputs on these and have 2 x CAT5e going to the office where the DVR will be located.

Can I put one of these where near the car park is - plug baluns into the coaxial inputs and have 2 x CAT5e going to the office where the DVR is located.

I want to power everything by CAT5e aswell so I would have a power box in each of these locations.

You've nailed it!

At the DVR end, I will have 4 CAT5 cables which are carrying 4 video signals each. How do I plug these into the DVR? Do I need some type of 'receiver' or can I just strip the wire back and use the pair which the certain video signal is on.

Baluns are "tranceivers", which means they can both transmit and receive: you can use four of those same units above at the DVR end - you just need short coax "jumpers" to connect the baluns to the DVR... or use something like this: http://gemelec.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=243&category_id=41&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

1e420f4cb154eecfaedbb65840854d24-1.jpg

Edited by Guest

Can I buy 2 x these:

You've nailed it!

Baluns are "tranceivers", which means they can both transmit and receive: you can use four of those same units above at the DVR end - you just need short coax "jumpers" to connect the baluns to the DVR... or use something like this: http://gemelec.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=243&category_id=41&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

1e420f4cb154eecfaedbb65840854d24-1.jpg

This is great! Thanks so much for your help.

So you're saying I don't need a special receiver at the DVR end and I can just plug the individual CAT5 pairs into a balun and straight into a DVR?

Thanks so much for your help

So you're saying I don't need a special receiver at the DVR end and I can just plug the individual CAT5 pairs into a balun and straight into a DVR?

That is correct. Passive baluns work the same on both ends of the wire.

That is correct. Passive baluns work the same on both ends of the wire.

Ok - that's great!

And if I were to have a PTZ camera in my car park, because I can't bring everything back to the DVR, what can I do there? I want to be able to use PTZ+power+video.

Thanks!

Jack

Depends on the PTZ and its power requirements. You can use one pair for video, one for control, and two for power... IF the camera doesn't require too much power, and IF the run isn't too long... and it will help if the camera supports 24V (AC or DC doesn't matter, the voltage drop will be the same). Or you could power the camera locally over separate 18/2 and then run video and data over their own pairs in a Cat5. Just don't run the control signal through a balun (unless it's the pass-through type designed for that purpose).

Thanks very much Soundy!

Can I just go through one thing again? Sorry

I'd have 2 x passive transceivers (very last product at http://www.henrys.co.uk/cctv/twistpaircomponents.htm). I'd have these 2 in different locations.

I'd get each end of the individual CAT5 cable going to the cameras, put a video balun on them and plug them into the coaxial plugs of this transceiver. I'd do this for 8 of them on one transceiver. Then, after this has been done - I'd have 2 x RJ45 crimped CAT5 cables going back to the DVR.

This would be the same for the other transceiver at the other side of the building.

edit: a bit off topic - sorry... if i buy a housed camera & supply power to the camera, does this also provide power to the body camera?

So then I'd have 4 CAT5e cables coming into the DVR room.

Now the question is - how do I hook these cameras up to the DVR? Do I need a special 'receiver'? Do I need more baluns?

Thanks for all your help!

UTP20layout-1.png

Thanks so much Soundy - I can't seem to find any of them video servers in the UK so I'll probably need to use a separate power box + transceiver.

By the way - for housed cameras with a body inside them... can I power them by CAT5? How does the power work for these? Do I need 2 separate power cables?

For example - this camera:

http://www.onlinesecurityproducts.co.uk/genie-body-cameras/genie-cctv-gsdnr-5358dv-daynight-camera-with-sdnr-.html

With this housing:

http://www.xenexsecurity.co.uk/product/id/177203

With that, you could either split the pairs to the camera and heater connections, or jumper them (say, connect incoming wires into the heater terminals, then short wires from there to the camera). According to the specs, the heater only draws a max of 600mA, and the camera, 260mA @ 12V, so you're well under 1A there - as long as the runs aren't too long, you should be fine.

I'd probably use three pairs for power and split one of them off to the camera and two to the heater. The VPS units shown use the orange pair for video (assume T568B - green pair for T568A), with green/white, blue, and blue/white for power ground, and green, brown/white and brown for +12V... so the brown pair could go to +12 on the heater, blue pair to ground on the heater, green to +12V on the camera, and green/white to power ground on the camera.

For example, that is...