Sign in to follow this  
sf2

Is there any way to globally set recording settings?

Say you want to use H.264 encoding instead of the default. As far as I can tell you need to touch the settings for each channel. Is there any way to just change the default or change all at once?

click the little hand icon for each section, that will set that setting for all cameras.

Thanks, Thought I tried using the "hand".

I tried it earlier today on a system I updated to the 8.5 software and it worked. The other thing I noticed was now there are only two codec options (either Geo Mpeg4 or Geo H.264) . The older system also had a H.264 V2 option.

I found this description of the codecs:

a. Geo Mpeg 4 – The codec with the largest file size but with the best quality.

b. Geo Mpeg 4 ASP – It is about 15% more compressed than Geo Mpeg4.

c. Geo H.264 – It is 30% more compressed than Geo Mpeg4.

d. Geo H.264 V2 – It is 40% more compressed than Geo Mpeg4.

So it looks like they removed the H.264 V2 codec in the 8.5 software.

I think they killed that in 8.4

Another reason i went back to 8.33 on my last Geo build, because I wanted the Mpeg4.

H.264 and ASP use much more CPU and was maxing out even a new Dual Core CPU.

More software compression means more CPU usage, considerably more.

After that last build I likely wont be using Geo again, Im not prepared to build a super computer for a CCTV system and additionally have to deal with the heat and current draw that comes along with it - plus I cant fathom the use of Win 7 for a DVR as hardware support for XP is slowly fading away. Software developers these days are literally off their rockers .. seems they think everyone and they mama has bought brand new 6 core computers. It's like they don't exist in the real world with everyone else where there is a global recession.

Sure but Win XP is an out of production product. Win7 is out for two years and it works well. It doesn't cost any more than XP did.

Hardware is amazingly inexpensive anymore. Storage is a given no matter what you do, RAM is inexpensive and there isn't much difference in motherboard cost and you could take the same motherboard you would use for a lower end system and just use say an i7-2600 for $100 more to make a really powerful system. That CPU has a 95W TDP so it certainly isn't eating lots of power. Lots of older much less capable CPUs used more power than that.

I have a recent system I built using 2x 16 channel GV-1240s and I am using the H.264 V2 codec for 8 of the "high use" channels (front door, main entrance etc). With 30 channels in use in a busy store the CPU usage is ~ 10%. I could have used a less capable CPU but wasn't sure so I erred on the high side. There wasn't much difference in price.

Id use Ubuntu before I use Win7

Win7 is the worse OS yet next to Vista

BTW with a core 2 duo the CPU was at 80% with 10 cameras on a 1480 and version 8.4

With 8.33 on mpeg4 it was less than 30%

Hardware hasnt dropped price much in the last year since i built that, its still expensive. Because you need faster and faster hardware to run all the crappy software these "developers" are coming out with now, the OS included. Seriously, if a core 2 duo 3Ghz has trouble running some software, then I dont want to use it. I still have GV800's with 8.12 running on Celerons and GV1480s running on P4's, without issue.