Numb-nuts

Replacement O Rings and weather seals

At this moment I am taking shelter in my client's office because there is a huge rainstorm .

I was asked to attend to see why a speed dome is collecting water. I opened the dome up and first thing I noticed is that the fall wire has not been installed, the second is that the O ring seal is completely perished and cracked. A call to the manufacturer/importer had me talking to 'a very disinterested customer service operator'. The outcome is that a replacement O ring will cost about £20 plus delivery and tax. about £40 in all

Whoah. "MAJOR RIP OFF"

A quick call to an O ring manufacturer, lead me to discover that I can obtain O Ring chord.

They wanted me to buy a 200m roll. A quick look on ebay and I found several sellers selling it by 1m lengths, so I bought 5m. I bought 1mm diameter. The idea is that you cut it to length and superglue the ends together. I haven't done it yet as I have to return after the chord arrives at my house. I was advised that Gorilla superglue is perfect as it uses a rubber cement base. I just happen to have some in my toolbox.

I haven't found a perished seal before, so this is a new problem for me, but next time I'll be ready. Meantime, I am planning to seal the dome up with duct tape until I can return.

What can I do about the anti-fall wire? I was going to use nylon string but I don't know if that will suffice? I'd hate to see someone else opening the dome in future and dropping it.

I though I might use copper earth wire and insulated crimp terminals, don't know if that will work well enough.

UPDATE

Well my O ring chord arrived today and I obviously underestimated the diameter of the seal I needed for the Dennard housing. I think it should have been more like 2 or 3mm diameter.

I will have to reorder it now. I am at home today as it's horrible cold and wet outside and there are no urgent calls for maintenance. Incidentally the O ring chord is available in all diameters 1mm through 10mm and probably bigger than that if you asked for it.

I just know that if I buy a few sizes it will be years before i need it again and by then I will have lost it somewhere.

Home Depot (or equiv) or plumbing supply houses usually carry o ring kits. Nice to have for those butter finger "oh $%&*!" moments on a ladder/ scissor lift.

I have a little O ring selection box which is quite handy but O ring chord is also useful.

Some metal junction boxes use them too and PTZ domes as well as housings. I will have a look next time I'm near a plumbing suppliers place to see if they keep those kits. Worth having for sure provided they don't cost too much.