hi, i am wondering if IP cameras that also have analogue out exist.

i like analogue systems because all cameras run to one central place (DVR) that does all the work.

but i don't like IP because its all done in the camera and then the wire just connects it to the www/LAN.

however i do understand that IP quality is significantly better than analogue. i already have a standard analogue system with a pretty old dvr that uses wavelets (says its AKA jpeg2000) for compression which is not that great and the DVR does not have an option to record to an ftp server.

i was thinking of replacing the camera at my front and back doors with IP ones but do not want to loose them from my analogue system.

i quite like AXIS stuff and i know they make units that replace a DVR. so you have analogue cameras and they go into a digitizer thing which converts each video input to an IP channel (i just wish they made a dvr that had this feature!).

if i had two axis ip cameras allso with standard video out that connected to my router AND dvr and i also had a 1ch ip digitizer thing on the dvr output could i view my axis ip cameras and my dvr video output on the same web page?

thanks - luke

What your looking for is called a Hybrid DVR. Hybrids will record both analog and IP cameras on the same box.

Something like this would work for you.

http://www.averusa.com/surveillance/productdetail.aspx?id=138

wow, thank you! isn't it annoying when you know exactly what you want but just don't know what it is?

do they make a 16 ch version?

could i record on the dvr AND an ftp server at the same time?

how much would it cost me?

Ummm, one thing you need to understand is, IP cameras do not give "better quality images" BECAUSE they're IP... what IP does, is get around the resolution limitations of analog video standards. Thus, IP cameras CAN provide higher resolution... but ONLY via IP. If you use an IP camera with an analog output, that analog output will still be limited to D1 resolution. It won't look any better on your analog DVR - the high-resolution image is still only available via the IP stream.

sorry for not making it clear...

iknow that the ip camera will come out pretty much the same as the old camera on the dvr BUT it will also be recording on a local NAS or a remote FTP server.

i just want it also in my normal DVR because i take advantage of the motion and alarm capabilities and at the end of each day i search through all motion activations/alarms. it is easer to do this all on the dvr than some on the dvr then some on a web browser to the ip cams.

basically i will use the dvr for everything but if there is an incident and i need a nice clear facial shot then i will get the images direct from where the ip camera is storing them.

thanks - luke