Famester

Camera compatability

Being new at this and in my pursuit of putting a system together, is it ok to use different brands/manufacturers of cameras in one system?

I would think for ease of compatibility with the camera software and with a hybrid dvr, it would be simpler to have all Vivotek (IP) OR all CNB (monaLisa analog) cameras, but if I combine the two types, will I have problems?

Being new at this and in my pursuit of putting a system together, is it ok to use different brands/manufacturers of cameras in one system?

Of course. I have sites with probably 8 different brands of cameras on the same DVR.

I would think for ease of compatibility with the camera software and with a hybrid dvr, it would be simpler to have all Vivotek (IP) OR all CNB (monaLisa analog) cameras, but if I combine the two types, will I have problems?

Nope.

Analog cameras all output video using the same NTSC or PAL composite video standard - the DVR has no way of knowing who makes the camera (or whose name is on it, since a lot of cameras, cheaper ones especially, are all made in the same place and just have different names stamped on them).

IP cameras of different brands tend to "speak" different dialects of the same language, but typically, you just need to make sure the DVR knows how to talk to that specific camera. I've got systems with three different brands of IP cameras on them and there are no issues.

You absolutely can mix-and-match cameras, particularly in an analog system. As long as it puts out a signal in your particular standard (PAL or NTSC), your DVR will not know the difference. It's plug-n-play.

For IP cameras, you'd have to look at the compatibility list for your NVR software. I currently have Axis, Vivotek, Mobotix, Arecont, and several models of Acti in my home system... and my NVR software supports all of them.

It's not a problem as long as you do your homework first.

Thanks for the answers. I now have 3 Vivotek IP cams ordered and will order the CNB cams shortly, once I find a good price.

This is a great forum.

Famester: Would you mind posting which cameras you decided on getting, what area they will cover and other details for us new folks. Its been really hard for me to get a grip on what camera to get for particular placement area. Currently I'm only trying to focus on the exterior of my home. I've been looking at the Vivotek IP8352. I still need to see if the IR can be turned OFF via software.

Thanks!