woodlands

Many questions about cctv system for residential

Hi, I am new here, and also totally new to the world of CCTV system. I've searched the website and was confused by the tons of information available. Hope this forum will help.

Basically I want to install cctv cameras for my home, I intend to have the following specifications:

1. 8CH H.264 DVR

2. 8 wireless cameras

3. One month recording storage...I reckon at least 1TB storage

4. Able to view using iphone

5. Able to store video footage offsite using broadband.

Hope these make sense.

I have the following questions:

a) I would like the video footage be recorded and stored offsite. Reason being this will prevent anybody from taking the DVR and erase the evidence. How should I go about doing it?

b) Is wireless camera the same as IP camera? Which one is suitable for my usage?

c) Does the CCTV system has to link to home computer? I am using iMac and not sure how this will work with CCTV system.

d) I would like to view it using iphone.

Many thanks in advance. Any advice is appreciated.

what is your budget?

with my system, the dvr is in a lockbox that my lodger made for me. super secure! but that is inside a metal cupboard in the cellar with another door that needs a key to get into, i also have a PC at my mums recording from the DVR 24/7

point is... if you hide and secure the DVR well, unless they are dedicated criminals, the dvr aint going nowhere, of course it is still good to record offsite though.

Hi, I am new here, and also totally new to the world of CCTV system. I've searched the website and was confused by the tons of information available. Hope this forum will help.

Welcome!

2. 8 wireless cameras

Avoid wireless like the plague. It should be used only as a last resort, and even then, the only reliable way to do it is with IP (using quality WiFi gear), or high-end analog systems designed specifically for the purpose (NOT cheap).

3. One month recording storage...I reckon at least 1TB storage

Storage requirements will depend on a LOT of factors, but 1TB is a good starting point.

5. Able to store video footage offsite using broadband.

Hope these make sense.

I have the following questions:

a) I would like the video footage be recorded and stored offsite. Reason being this will prevent anybody from taking the DVR and erase the evidence. How should I go about doing it?

This is a tricky one: the one major issue with doing this, especially on residential broadband, is that upstream speeds tend to be fairly limited (your connection may be 30Mbit receiving, but only 1Mbit sending). Most ISPs also have bandwidth caps, a maximum amount of data you can use per month, and offsite storage will eat that up FAST.

Rather than worrying too much about this, I'd think more about just securing your system, as ljarrald suggests - hide it, lock it... if you use a PC-based DVR, you can have it do all its recording to external storage (network-attached array, etc.) that you can hide away, so even IF they take the DVR (unlikely), the video stays behind.

b) Is wireless camera the same as IP camera? Which one is suitable for my usage?

Probably neither. IP cameras require a different type of system to record to - an NVR (network video recorder) or hybrid DVR (records both analog and IP).

Wireless cameras come in both analog and IP flavors; again, you generally want to avoid both unless there's no other option. Keep in mind that none of these cameras are really 100% wireless: you still have to power them.

c) Does the CCTV system has to link to home computer? I am using iMac and not sure how this will work with CCTV system.

d) I would like to view it using iphone.

None of these NEED to connect to your computer. Something that will work with iPhone via browser, will work with Mac as well. There are lots out there; however, I don't really deal with small standalone systems, so I can't suggest anything. Others will have some ideas.