pjkovie

Newbie Needs Recommendation

At our club, we had a small (25mm square) camera mounted to the ceiling grid over our cash register. It was about 4.5 feet above it and had the field of view that was just a little larger than the register key-pad (about 2' x 1.5'). The resolution was good enough to read the denominations of the individual keys so you could monitor cash transactions.

During a recent renovation, the camera got broken and I need to replace it. It had an adjustable lens that screwed in and out to obtain the correct focus. The thread was 12mm x .5 pitch (I believe) - very fine thread. I have talked to many sales people and cannot get someone to tell me exactly what I need for a replacement camera. I want to be certain that what I buy will suit my needs. I don't want to be mailing items back and forth because they were wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be looking to buy that will meet the need. The broken camera has no information at all written on it. I can supply pictures.

Edited by Guest

At our club, we had a small (25mm square) camera mounted to the ceiling grid over our cash register. It was about 4.5 feet above it and had the field of view that was just a little larger than the register key-pad (about 2' x 1.5'). The resolution was good enough to read the denominations of the individual keys so you could monitor cash transactions.

During a recent renovation, the camera got broken and I need to replace it. It had an adjustable lens that screwed in and out to obtain the correct focus. The thread was 12mm x .5 pitch (I believe) - very fine thread. I have talked to many sales people and cannot get someone to tell me exactly what I need for a replacement camera. I want to be certain that what I buy will suit my needs. I don't want to be mailing items back and forth because they were wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be looking to buy that will meet the need. The broken camera has no information at all written on it. I can supply pictures.

M12 is a standard thread for fixed-lens board cameras - most any board camera should do. You can use the existing lens (swap out whatever the camera comes with), or order one with the appropriate lens.

According to this calculator: http://www.isorainbow.com/lens_calc.htm

For a 1/4" sensor at 4.5' distance, you'd need a 7.2mm lens to get a 2' wide view. Your camera probably came with a 6mm lens, which would give about a 2.4' wide view at that distance. 6mm would not be an uncommon lens length to ship with that type of camera.

Where are you based? 12mm is as Soundy says a standard board lens thread. The lenses are usually secured with a fine grub screw or similar. If you get a board camera you obviously need to buy one with a case or you will have to house it.

Better to buy one in a housing.The higher the TVL the better picture you will get. Aim for 600 TVL and you won't be disappointed. If you want to save some money, a B&W camera will still give you a razor sharp image, however colour cameras are now exceptional value.

Soundy and Numby, Thanks for your input. I am located in NE Pa. I will search for what's available and standard, now that I have some idea what I need to shop for. I believe that the lens that is with the camera may be a 12mm x 29 degree mini board zoom lens. Would that mean that the camera is a 1/3 CCD? Thanks for your assistance.

Oh! one more thing, Numb-nuts, that's exactly what my old man used to call me when I was a kid. Cool! " title="Applause" />