blowrabbit

looking for audio with video dvr on remote play and live

my client wants to be able to hear and see [audio/video] what is happening at his retail store either live or when its closed to review activity from yesterday to 60 days ago. we have found wavereader to be cumbersome to do this on a dsl line [upload speed at site 256 to 500 kb] remote site with broadband/comcast very fast. it seems really slow and often times out or and error messange in the save file window after the disk analyisis window.[check connections message] it takes 15 minutes to upload 32 kb before it crashes. maybe some config is off or maybe it is the old 2001 calaber dsr 2000e and its remote functionality?

but regardless the ge prosafe 11 does not even support live audio and i have come to learn that the sanyo tiger does at 3fps +.

i might be too much of a rookie on the remote hook up to make a qualified judgement on the remote audio, what do you think? Sanyo or Prosafe II ?

For remote Audio, you need a PC DVR..

Your DSR2000 supports Streaming live audio?

As for stability, i have several in the field that have been running non stop which I havent had to go back to once, and they are still online, In fact i just downloaded a 200MB file for some video the other day from my home. There are EPROM upgrades available for some of the DSR 2000s, i can check if you want, the upgrades i installed on 1 made a huge difference. I actually have them upgrade Bin files here, but have to know the exact version you have to be able to tell you if it supports it, some of the "older" ones dont support upgrading without sending it to GE for manufacturer upgrade, I think a cost of $400 or so. Most of the ones i have in the field are around 4 and 5 years old, and all are attached to kalatel muxes.

By the way, StoreSafe Pro 2 still has some limitations compared to the other DVRs, or did from recent specs, may have changed Levon can assist in that, maybe best to stick with the DVMreCT or even the SToreSafe Pro, for now, those are what I use. I dont know of any of the GE and older Kalatels that do streaming audio though, or do you mean playback of audio remotely?

as for speed, also check your MTU speed, depends on the ISP and also are you using a router? Definately needs broadband at least 256 upload. All the ones i have online are Cable with at least 256 mininum. DSL down here is generally too slow for remote video, as we dont have ADSL, or we do but it costs $490 a month for a basic package.

Rory

Edited by Guest

See if this info helps, I have the Bin files required, PM me for them, or email. Flashing the unit is very simple and may make a difference. Also make sure the HDD is good, otherwise replace it with another 5400rpm HDD same size same speed. Perform HDD maintenance on it before you give up on it. I havent had one go bad yet but ofcourse they can.

DSR2000e/1000e Flash Upgrades

Kalatel/GE Tech (Name Removed) - 09/18/2003

"These are the latest flash upgrades for the DSR2000e and DSR1000e. There are three different board revisions of the DSR2000e which have major hardware differences. Two of the earlier board revisions are concidered Generation 1 and the latest board revision is Generation 2. Please be carefull in selecting you upgrade file as there are major hardware differences in these board revisions and flash upgrading with the incorrect file may cause your unit to become inoperable."

"Original boards. For DSR2000 units with existing software version 1.1X or 1.2X installed, you may upgrade with the latest software version 1.2X only. Any higher version will damage the unit. This software can support a maximum HDD size of 120GB and can have two installed to maximum 240GB of storage. "

"Extra Memory boards. For DSR2000 units with existing software version 1.3X installed, you may upgrade with the latest software version 1.3X only. Any higher or lower version will damage the unit. This software can support a maximum HDD size of 160GB and can have one, two or four installed to a maximum of 640GB of storage. "

"Generation 2. For DSR2000/1000 with existing software version 2.XX installed, you may upgrade with the latest software version 2.XX only. This software can support a maximum HDD size of 250GB and can have one, two or four installed to a maximum of 1TB of storage."

["I dont know of any of the GE and older Kalatels that do streaming audio though, or do you mean playback of audio remotely? "]

i meant both live audio/video and playback audio/video. i find it a *** that you have to first save the files before you can play them with audio but if the thing actually uploaded in a reasonable amount of time on a dsl line i could live with it. and i think i have got the 1.3 version as my unit has a 320 gig harddrive? I'll check first as you say, and thanks , you rock! i wish GE's tech phone support was half as helpfull as you.

yeah no prob, first double check it on boot up .. I think thats the same versions I upgraded ... as the 1.3 bin file is unzipped, and thats around the same time frame.

Actually i bought a SVM8 at one point for streaming audio etc, never worked properly, was a waste of money, in fact, it is still sitting here on top of my TV as an ornament ...

BTW my correspondance was mostly back when it was Kalatel, they really had exceptional support then, now ... well its GE ..yah know the big companies ..

Rory

hey rory, i have got the 1.20 version of the dsr2000e single channel with a 320 gb hd. this amount of gigs seems to conflict with your specs on the upgrading of firmware? i quess the bottom line is like you said, i need a broadband connection instead of a dsl, as an upload speed of 750kb at the site [dsl] is way too slow when your trying to upload 12 hours of audio/video or [4600mb]. but any improvement would be great, and i look forward to any help you have, thanks,again.