DogCatcher

To sign or not...

That is the question.

Our locked front gate is about a 1000-ft from the house and we can see it clearly.

Is a sign on the front gate a good idea or a bad idea? I am thinking of something like,

"4 Cameras to Internet"

"No recorder to steal"

"Must like Prison food"

OK, maybe being a little flippant there, but are signs really a deterrent or not to a professional career Burglar?

My neighbor who has had cameras for 8+ years has a couple of signs to the effect,

"For your safety and security we use video surveillance"

Not sure what that means, but that's what the camera installers added to the gates.

I would guess from a legal standpoint it might be better to leave out the first bit (safety), as it might imply something.

I'd just say surveillance, if you thought it might help with property damage or something. There are some interesting studies if you look around as to what cameras help with and don't.

Gonna depend somewhat on the "class" of criminals you're defending against... if it's mostly crackheads and junkies, most of them aren't going to be looking at the signs. Your average cat burglar will probably be a little more deterred, depending on how persistent he is.

What on Earth does that mean?

if i got in and saw a camera, i'd leg it

it means i would run away. well,i'd probably look for the dvr and destroy it if i could first.

Well... So what happens when the DVR is behind a outward swinging steel door in a locked basement which has a remote offsite backup?

well,i'd probably look for the dvr and destroy it if i could first.

Well... So what happens when the DVR is behind a outward swinging steel door in a locked basement which has a remote offsite backup?

well,i'd probably look for the dvr and destroy it if i could first.

i would think 'aww f*ck' and then leg it and try to think up an excuse and just accept the fact that i am going to be caught.

Gonna depend somewhat on the "class" of criminals you're defending against

I guess out here in the boonies, we get the entire range. Over the past three weeks I have seen a particular pickup cruising by very slowly. The dog alerts to someone approaching about a 1/4 mile away so I always go out and check. I have seen this truck four times now. He always idles the full distance form the main road to my place and back.

There's very few legitimate reasons for cruising by this isolated section of dirt road, so "casing" is at the top of my suspicions list at the moment.

That's an example where a sign might have the desired effect: if he sees the place is under surveillance, he may simply decide it's not worth his time and move on.

true. but if they wanna get in and know there is a system they will cover their face rendering the cameras useless.

but i do see what you're saying. if i was a criminal a sign saying 'this building is alarmed with a direct link to the police' would deffo put me off!

true. but if they wanna get in and know there is a system they will cover their face rendering the cameras useless.

Oh sure, there's all kinds of steps they could take... the question is, at what point does it become "too much effort" and they just move on to an easier target? Your average B&E thief doesn't want a bunch of complication, they just want to smash, grab, and get out fast, especially if they don't know what they're going to get out of the job. We're not talking about going after state secrets or the Hope diamond or anything that is worth a whole movie sequence's worth of high-tech gadgetry and special effects.

Oh sure, there's all kinds of steps they could take... the question is, at what point does it become "too much effort" and they just move on to an easier target? Your average B&E thief doesn't want a bunch of complication, they just want to smash, grab, and get out fast, especially if they don't know what they're going to get out of the job. We're not talking about going after state secrets or the Hope diamond or anything that is worth a whole movie sequence's worth of high-tech gadgetry and special effects.

true, true. funny thing is that our house is one of about 10 houses on our road that has 300+ houses on that does not have an alarm system (yet).

on a slightly unrelated note...

next doors SAB has been strobing for over two years. the people who bought the house opened the door and tripped the alarm, they had not been given the code so after the timer shut the sirens up the strobe was left to flash advertising that the system is unset.

my shed alarm has never ever falsely activated. but one night at about 11.45 it activated and woke everyone in the house up (nice to see it doing its job! ) i wanted to shut it up so i glanced out of the window and saw nothing (i could only see a small amount of the shed) the next day i went out to investigate why the 'false alarm' occurred and discovered this

171224_1.jpg

that is the side gate in my neighbours garden, you can see the thick wood we have put in as a backup for the flimsy gate, if it was not for that our bikes would of been gone. after reviewing the CCTV and listning to the microphone, they came from the side (where camera 13 now monitors) and spent 10 mins ripping the gate off. that entrance is now bricked up.

point is... always double check before you cancel an alarm.

sorry for that long anecdote. i just remembered it and thought i'd share

That's an example where a sign might have the desired effect: if he sees the place is under surveillance, he may simply decide it's not worth his time and move on.

That was my thinking but I am new to this so thought I would pose the question. Thanks.

Given that he is taking his time if he is casing the place, it may be the neighbor's signs that put him off as I have not seem him drive down to that dead-end, end of the road. He may have already been down there once before and knows not to bother. There are only three properties on the road.

Sign it is then. Thanks to all.

It's impossible to predict what effect signage will have. If a burglar is determined enough, most likeley they won't be put off

crack-heads and addicts have no real logic so who knows what they'll do. Just use a standard commercially available sign.

They advise of CCTV but don't give away anything. With your idea, a burglar would just need to find the telephone line and cut it. No more CCTV!

What is certain, that signs will at least reduce the chances of criminal events. Hence the reason some dummy cameras with sign are commercially successful. But merely as a deterrent. Putting smart @rse signs merely challenges some potential intruders who see it as such an may encourage criminal behaviour.

It's impossible to predict what effect signage will have. If a burglar is determined enough, most likeley they won't be put off

crack-heads and addicts have no real logic so who knows what they'll do. Just use a standard commercially available sign.

They advise of CCTV but don't give away anything. With your idea, a burglar would just need to find the telephone line and cut it. No more CCTV!

What is certain, that signs will at least reduce the chances of criminal events. Hence the reason some dummy cameras with sign are commercially successful. But merely as a deterrent. Putting smart @rse signs merely challenges some potential intruders who see it as such an may encourage criminal behaviour.

yeah, when mine first went up they got the finger from some groups of 'youths' covering their face, one got attacked but now the scum that used to misbehave in it stay away.

although, we still get idiots staring into the camera and then letting fireworks off

With your idea, a burglar would just need to find the telephone line and cut it. No more CCTV!

Ahh, the old "assumption" technique. You City dwellers are lucky in having a choice of Cable and ADSL, wifi but not so in the boonies. Satellite Internet (Hughes, DirectTV etc) and Cell-phone Internet (Verizon etc) is very common out here and there ain't no wires to cut.

However, we actually do have ADSL via the phone lines, but by no means the norm out here.

when i can figure out how to set it up my internet (and cctv) will be backed up by this

Just got back from buying a new Netgear Modem Router (DGND3300). Not quite the specs of that one you just listed, but I am hoping I can get this to work with my ADSL and the Samsung DVR.

Stay tuned. Lemme see, 5-bucks a month saved on the ISP modem it will only take 25 months to pay break even.

i am using a netgear modem but that thing i linked to is a 3g/gprs/hdspa/etc, etc modem. you can have two sims in it (so if one of them loses signal the other provides backup)

you can use it as the only gate to the internet OR you can set it up so that if the netgear modem loses connectivity, the mobile network takes over.

they do make ones that have an adsl router built in but they are costly! and i got this for free so i aint complaining

always sign for a berg system, even if you don't have one. It's not going to make your place more appealing, its going to make your neighbors cctv/security system free place more appealing. and that's the entire goal...

most criminals look for opportunity, not challenge.