Sign in to follow this  
za

4 color cameras, 80g dvr, 4screen monitor,all under1000

im under a tight budget and really want a dvr system but cant afford to pay more than 1000, i found a package from piczell( heard of them?) for under a grand at sams club(http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&n=0&mt=a&coe=0&oidPath=0:-23542:-23589:-24294:-34205:918625) mayber after a couple years i can upgrade but what do you think or is this brand any good?

i hope im not violating your rules about price posting

Za, I am familiar of this package... In the nutshell, it is crap... I even know who is actually producing it for Sam's Club and that manufacturer's product line is garbage...

Sam's Club is selling something and they are not sure what they are selling. I had customers who bought this package and guess what, within 30 days, they all returned it...

Generally, you get what you pay for...

However, Rory may be able to help... using PC based DVR card system!

Levon

Would this thing show the images four/screen and record it? I mean i know its dirt cheap and the image quality compressioin.. wont be crisp but the whole purpose of this thing is deterance. someone coming in the store will think twice? or if tis a complete waste of agrand, can i get something similar pc based if I just have to buy a tv(I want a tv where people coming in can see clearly)

Hi, you can buy the seperate products individually and get a better system, and it will be around the same or less cost.

za, Rory will put a system together for you and it will be much better overall...

Since you have a store, you can increase the deterrance factor by adding more of dummy cameras too, as you are installing "live" cameras...

Also, not sure what type of store that you have, you can also protect your merchandize using dummy tags (similar to live tags that will activate the system that gets installed at the door) or using ink tags to increase such a deterence...

Levon

Well for under $1000, you have a couple choices ... Budget (entry level), or mid range.

Where to buy the products from, other dealers will have to let you know, but i can give you an idea on the products available.

Im going by the impression you are in the US or Canada since you mentioned Sams club?

DVRs: Basically in the stand alone embedded plug and play area, there are a couple options.

Avtech - Budget Unit

Active-Teck - Mid Range Unit

They are both sold under various names in the US, where you live will also determine where the nearest place is that sells it. For example if you are in Florida, I could recommend Eclipse and the product Name is Nubix for the Active-tek unit.

For PC based, gawd there are tons of options. Most 30fps 4 channel PC Cards can range in the $200 range in the US retail market. Then you get a 2.93 Celloron, 512MB PC with say 120GB HDD or larger depending on how long you want to record. If you arenot familiar with PCs then it is best to buy a prebuilt 4 channel PC system. If you are "really" not familiar with PCs then best to buy a stand alone one time.

As for cameras, budget and mid range would be bullets and domes.

Its best to buy RG59 Siamese Cable and a 4 channel Multi output power suppy box, but if you arent to handy with wiring and electronics, then you can also buy premade siamese cables, and 4 simple 12VDC power supplies as show in the image for the product you listed above. Quality of video can be an issue though if you end up going with the latter, depending on distances and electrical and other interference in the wire run.

Provideo make some decent mid range color bullet cameras.

Eclipse have some decent budget bullet cameras.

There are others, and alot of them are basically the same as both companies OEM the products from Asia. Warranty is where the difference is, for example big brand names like bosch, ge, pano, etc, can give you anywhere from 3-5 year warranty, while the smaller companies only give you 1-3 year limited warranties.

Also, are you sure you can handle color cameras where you are placing the cameras? For color to work properly at night, you need alot of light in the area. Otherwise you would need either a Low Light Color camera, hard to find in a decent bullet, a Black & White camera, or a Day Night Camera (which switches from color to black and white at night for lower sensitivity). The good day nights (we call them True Day Night Cameras) are the most expensive and run over your budget.

Mid range dome cameras can run over your budget unless you are just going with a standard res color, or BW. Budget domes can handle your budget, but quality of image is not always as good.

Basically, you get what you pay for when it comes to CCTV, but anything you buy from a CCTV dealer, is going to work out better than the unit you listed above.

Where are you located so we can give you a better idea on what brand of cameras and DVR to go with, and some pricing?

BTW, you can use a TV or CCTV monitor with any DVR you buy, stand alone or PC based.

Rory

im actually in two places, i alternate between washington dc and north carolina

dont ask long story

the store is in NC greensboro

im semi computer savy ok depending on what you mean by savy

just a little more info than installing plug and play hardware

, i want that screen on the ceiling in addition to four visible cameras so, simplicity is very important because i wont be there all the time and have someone is close to completely clueless about computers whenim not there

thanks guys

Well all you need is something like the 4 channel PowerTellecom or AvTech DVR, they come with LAN for remote video, AvTechs has browser based, and PowerTellecoms is Client Software, which is better quality remote video, though the AvTechs is nice that its browser based.

Get a 4 channel multi output 12VDC power supply, 4 Color CCD Dome cameras, indoor, or vandal resistant, and you can either buy a CCTV Monitor, or save some money by just using a TV. 13" or 19" Depends how much space you have.

Retail this should come to around $1000 or less. Also ask them for cable.

Using a dealer you will get better support than buying it from Sams Club. I suggested Dome cameras so they cant move them as easy, though bullets will be cheaper.

If i sell you it,going to cost a fortune in shipping, one of the dealers in here should be able to help.

Rory

i was going to pay 80bucks shipping with the samsclub kit, so i dont know what your shipping will be

I talked to aguy in maryland he was saying if im spending about a thousand i might as well get somthing with blk/whit vcr based system so i told costco/sms club have these deals with dvrs he said go for it...

any way i dont mind traveling any way inbetween nc and maryland.

the problem is that i need to buy this like this week, at the latest next week

and would i get the 3 year warranty whichcosts about 80 dollars with the sams club kit

za, what you get from sams's club comes with 1 year warranty. Rory put together several excellent options that are much better than what you get from Sam's and within your budget...

If you want 3 years warranty on hardware and no headacks, you need to raise the bar or spending. With your budget you are restricted on what is available and again, what Rory is suggesting is much better than what you get from Sam's...

Levon

Ive pasted the warranty below it costs 79 dollars. its very good but as you guys said the equipment is crap.

I dont know where to check other than the net for Rorys suggestion, I guess ill have to check in the big cities on my way (richmond va, raleigh nc) ive given up on DC i checked with the yellowpages (covers metropolitan dc,MD and Northern VA

With a SAMS CLUB Service Agreement, there are no deductibles or hidden fees. All eligible repairs are fully covered for 3 years after expiration of the manufacturers warranty. And, if we cant fix it, well replace it for FREE! This plan covers parts and labor costs resulting from mechanical or electrical failure of the product caused by defects in workmanship, materials, and/or normal wear and tear, including those caused by power surges. We will repair the product, reimburse you for authorized repairs or replace the product by issuing a check, voucher or cash card (at our discretion) when required due to a breakdown, including those experienced during normal wear and tear, which is not concurrently covered under any other warranty, service plan or insurance policy.

Rory, can you recommend anyone that can supply this hardware? May be Herm should jump in?

I know we can not, as we do not carry those brands...

Levon

Herm or one of those guys, the PowerTellecom R4000 4 channel, or the AvTech 4 channel if they want browser based, both with Lan. Any cameras.

Rory