troy6363

Installation CCTV on residential

Hello I just wanted to know of the installers that have installed cctv systems in residential homes. Do you have any insurance or something in place so if something happens, (you fall through ceiling or cause some type of property damage) LOL... so the customer cant sue you for damages?

The reason why I asked is because I know a guy that tried to install a cctv system in a persons house and he accidently and knocked a large hole with his foot through the ceiling while in the attic. He has a guy to come repair it but I wonder if the homeowner wanted to take him to court.

I for one have handyman's public liability insurance, (formerly small works builder's insurance). No insurance will cover stupidity but it will cover common risk such as in your friend's case. When having work done in their home, a home-owner accepts thee is an element of risk to the property fabric and so long as any damages are repaired suitably they have no claim on the contractor for things like stress, pain and suffering etc unless they are injured. That again comes under the public liability insurance.

It was unfortunate that your friend put a hole through the ceiling, I have done that at my own home once. I felt very stupid but actually, the damage looks a whole lot worse than it is. It doesn't take a lot to repair and redecorate, although the entire ceiling may need refinishing afterward to restore it to a good finish. My home-owner insurance took care of that.

As insurance policies become more specific to their purpose, they require careful consideration and you should speak to a broker about the risks that need to be covered. I have two policies, one covers me for personal injury, falls and loss of earnings in the event of hospitalization.

i have put holes in ceilings twice. the first time was at my dads, a couple of floorboards at the top of the stairs were up, as i was coming up the stairs, i tripped close to the top, put my hands out and my hands hit the top of the lath. went downstairs to find half the ceiling crumbled off. (our house is victorian and lots of HGVs drive down our road to deliver to all the aisain cash and carry shops but the vibration they cause over years is damaging to houses, especially very old lath and plaster walls and ceilings!)

and the other time, i was installing lighting in my mums loft (before i put the loft boards down) and there was lots of wood bridged over the joists that i was using as a platform to stand on, as i was screwing the light in, both feet were at the centre of a piece of wood and went through into my brothers bedroom. again, lath ceiling so not a simple small hole, half the ceiling was hanging off and my brother was covered in dust

i have put holes in ceilings twice. the first time was at my dads, a couple of floorboards at the top of the stairs were up, as i was coming up the stairs, i tripped close to the top, put my hands out and my hands hit the top of the lath. went downstairs to find half the ceiling crumbled off. (our house is victorian and lots of HGVs drive down our road to deliver to all the aisain cash and carry shops but the vibration they cause over years is damaging to houses, especially very old lath and plaster walls and ceilings!)

and the other time, i was installing lighting in my mums loft (before i put the loft boards down) and there was lots of wood bridged over the joists that i was using as a platform to stand on, as i was screwing the light in, both feet were at the centre of a piece of wood and went through into my brothers bedroom. again, lath ceiling so not a simple small hole, half the ceiling was hanging off and my brother was covered in dust

That make you twice as stupid as I am!

That makes you twice as stupid as I am!

yeah, but its not like it was something where i just didnt think about where i was putting my feet. not the stair one that is