Famester

Spot Monitor output question and Linux Question

Hi all, I hope everyone had a great Turkey Day!

I have 2 of the 3 Vivotek IP cameras working.

I was having connection issues with the FD8361, but that seems to have improved after I did a firmware update.

The other two cameras (of which I have only installed one) are the IP8362.

I also installed the Vivotek ST7501 software to use for monitoring and recording.

I need to know the following:

I know if I were to use an NVR instead of my desktop computer for recording, that an NVR has a separate "Video Out" for a "Spot Monitor" that I can isolate a specific camera on a different display monitor.

Does anyone know if Vivotek's ST 7501 or any other recording software (milestone, etc) have this feature?

I can either use a dual monitor connection to my computer's vga/dvi connection or if the software supports it, use a USB connection as a second video output for that Spot Monitor.

Will this work?

Also, I see most NVR (hybrid DVRs) are Linux based.

Is it possible and advisable to format the hard drive, remove windows and install Linux as the operating system on my PC that I am using for surveillance??

I know nothing about Linux.

I am considering adding a video card such and having a few analog CCTV cams as well as the IP cams.

Thanks again,

Fred

I need to know the following:

I know if I were to use an NVR instead of my desktop computer for recording, that an NVR has a separate "Video Out" for a "Spot Monitor" that I can isolate a specific camera on a different display monitor.

Too generic a question - "an" NVR MIGHT... you'd have to check the individual specs.

Does anyone know if Vivotek's ST 7501 or any other recording software (milestone, etc) have this feature?

That would have to be a factor of both the software AND the hardware. A Vigil DVR/NVR, for example, will do as many separate VGA/DVI/HDMI outputs as you can provide through additional video cards, with the additional HD Viewer software, each with its own single-camera or split-screen display. Other systems will do this as well.

Also, I see most NVR (hybrid DVRs) are Linux based.

Not necessarily. Most *standalone* systems are using an embedded version of Linux, in large part because it can be so extensively customized to be light-weight and run well on very minimal hardware.

Is it possible and advisable to format the hard drive, remove windows and install Linux as the operating system on my PC that I am using for surveillance??

For a PC... sure it's possible... advisable, though?

I know nothing about Linux.

In this case, probably not so advisable, unless you really like hacking around with the system.

Matt and all,

Ok, I get it. I was able to set up a second monitor view using the ST7501 software and a multi monitor setup on my video card. Thanks!

Now for the next question, I think it is a dumb question, but I have to ask.

I have the 2 Vivotek cameras set up and working. I have only gotten to read thru a small portion of the install and setup manual (who reads these things anyways??) of their ST7501 Live Client software.

I happen to have the opportunity to test out an AXIS 225fd, of which I was able to download the Axis camera management software and am able to test it using the Axis program. The question is: can I integrate the Vivotek cameras AND the Axis camera using one software program, whether it be the Vivotek Live Client ST 7501 or another like Milestone (which I have yet to download)????? I would like to run all cameras from one software.

Thanks again.

Fred

Well, after a lot of downloading this, lots of headbanging and throwing that , I was able to set up Milestone's XProtect Go 2.0a

The way I have it, it appears that the Axis 225FD camera will work on the XProtect software, but XProtect will not install the Vivotek cameras (IP8362 and FD8361).

And it appears that the Vivotek ST7501 software will work on the Vivotek cameras, but not on the Axis 225FD camera.

Seems like I am stuck between both programs.

I have a feeling that Milestone XProtect Go 2.0a will not support the Vivotek cameras, even though the software does recognize the cameras. It simply will not install them. Unless someone has a better idea, I will contact Milestone Tech Support on Monday and see if they can help.