ricochet

moving on to dvr

thanks for solving the camera issue,now its dvr time> i have followed the advice the forum so heres what i found so far. i am dealing with adi and their pushing honeywell. hrhd16+c500hd best compression rate but they won't tell me which version. i also got price on divar 16 600gb w/cd $900 more than the honeywell, next i am leaning toward the ka dvmre1164 16ch 640g triplx which is $1000 more than the divar. my requirements as i see them are 15 to 30 days recording. does b&w take up less room. is 60 ips enough, will i be able to see the differnce between a 5 and 10 setting will be starting with 12 cameras.more questions to come thanks

5 and 10pps setting is not much difference. I dropped down from 10 to 5 on a Kalatel (now GE) DVR and got an extra 14 days., continuous record.

DVMRe-CT for sure. Also, get a smaller HDD and you can switch in larger drives yourself. Saves a bunch of dollars. You would keep the original HDD for warranty issues.

Rory

on a 640GB with continuous record on, all BW cameras high res cameras, 10 cameras total, 5pps, we got approx 6 months. But ofcourse this will very greatly. Best to use the calculator .... if you dont have one let me know, pm me ill email you the GE one.

are you saying 60ips is enough does not leave any hi speed for cash register location or is running at 30 ips total over kill

i was just watching playback of 1pps on a cash register and it was fine.

You can set motion detection recording, and individually set either motion or continuous on any cameras, with individual speeds per camera, etc. So if you put 30 on the cash register for example, then that leaves 30 across the other cameras but on motion detection, if only 1 camera is picking up motion, it will be 30pps on that camera, then if 2 pick up motion, drops down to 15, etc, it auto adjusts the speeds. All the motion parameters and settings, including the motion grid, is all customizable through the remote viewer also, full administration of the DVR.

Personally I wouldnt waste 30pps on a cash register though unless you have it to spare, and alot of HDD space. 15pps is more than fast enough, and 5pps is more normal.

Rory

i think i got it going w/ge interlogix dvmre 16 pro unless the kalatel calibur dvmre 16 will do can't find the difference. also 1/2" cameras where suggested any problems with the philips (bosch) ltc 0500 series b&w or the sanyo vcb 3524 don't find much in the 1/2" size. their both under a buck & a half ohh motion sensor how do i apply that to these cameras or are they built into the camera or the dvr

rick

1/2" , 1/3", not much difference these days. We use 1/3" Medium Resolution in Infrared Apps as the mid res has better resonse with IR than a high res camera. But i still prefer high res

DVR will do the motion, or you can tie in alarm system motion or beam sensors also.

The DVMRe-CT is 60pps, the DVMRe-PRO is 120 but it only does that if set in Turbo mode, and that has other limitations. The PRO has a built in DVD and cost about $1000+ more than the CT. The CT is a slimline DVR while the PRO is taller. The PRO comes with audio by default, the CT has to order with -A on the end for audio and that costs extra.

Those are the only noticable differences. Price is the main factor and i chose not to sell the PRO and just sell the StoreSAfe Pro and the DVMRe-CT. Personally i prefer the slimline look of the CT also. Both use the same Network Software.

Rory

price on pro was only $200 more and it had cd/rw what caught my i was the 120 ips. it also has a dvd option for $450 more all this info on surveillancevideo.com. like i said i have only delt with adi in the past, my current system boasts 4 hi res pano cameras 1 robot mv45 4 ch all b&w i want to say around 15yrs young but not sure as i can't remember what i did yesterday.

rick

Rory, slight correction on your assessment of similarities of 1/3" vs. 1/2" cameras if I may and they are not the same...

There is a huge difference on performance going from one to the next, as the technology differences are the image size - bigger the imager, better perforance and better overall picture quality and the processessors that are different. If that is not the case then why is the pricing going from one to the next is almost the double the price??? You can get 1" cameras nowadays that start over a $1,000 and in some cases, pushes to over $5,000 and more and simple logic will dictate to investigate and you will find out if your research and these are totally different.

Rick, when I gave you my assessment on the comperison of both technology cameras, it was based on the factual availability of lower cost on 1/2" B&W cameras without any hype, i.e. Bosch LTC 0500 (120VAC version) and Sanyo VCB 3524 (24VAC version).. If you do a research, you will find out that any major manufacturer pricing, including even smaller manufacturers charge almost twice as much, as it is a totally different technology in the light processessor technique...

Levon

Okay, but I used both and saw no major improvement and ended up using the 1/3" anywayz. Course that was a Color camera and Day Night, I think it matters mostly in BW cameras if any, especially with new technology. Either way i was using it for a dAy Night app with Infrared at night in pitch dark, and cant get any better picture than what I got .. I ended up throwing the 1/2" one out as it wasnt as good an image, that put me against the extra spending on a 1/2" .. I can see spending the extra $200 for 1/2" if Im getting a megapixel camera, other wise its the same pixels on the DVR.

Edited by Guest

Rory, you need to test it with some good equipment and not from second tier crap

My assessment is based on not mixing the results between day/night pictures, vs. 1/3" B&W and vs. 1/2" B&W... There is a tremendous difference when we are referring to 2 different image sizes and the technology behind it... I wish I can give you some sources to read, but I am sure you can get them from Internet...

Sometimes we get great buys on hardware and sometimes it includes 1/2" B&W, Color and even Day/Nights (Panasonic CP-924, Bosch LTC 0620/21 and others). When someone needs equipment at lower cost than average pricing, sometimes I will make a comment and make sure they understand that it is a special price and it will not be there for too long...

Same applies to DVRs (Including GE), Monitors and other hardware...

Levon

so techno wise different perhaps better 1/3 to 1/2.are those two cameras selections for <150 a good choice, they are in some discount mode now + they were the only two 1/2 i could find - and will now investigate further

rick

For most indoor application, chances are you will not see the difference, but when you have areas that are darker and others or flactuation of light, or for outdoor application, 1/2" camera will kick 1/3" camera where it hurts the most.... performance

Think about this for the moment - larger images in case of 1/2" cameras does process more light and more responsive to changes of light. The technology behind it is different, as it works with larger imager, and it has to process more light faster and more effeciently. It uses 1/2" lens (preferably autoiris), which by all means will allow more light based on light change conditions, therefore better picture...

Please investigate all around and I am sure you will find comparible pricing from second tier manufacturer, but as from majors, these two models are as good as it gets from price and performance stand point... Alwasy consider several factors:

1. Performance

2. Functionality and application (do not give more than what you need)

3. Warranty (must have 3 years)

4. Price (must be the best your money can buy)

You see, we are not even talking about 1/4" cameras, as those cameras are even cheaper....

Levon

okay i get what you're saying levon, basically its better for low light apps.

But when using infrared it makes no difference, except for the difference in image size related to lens focal length. Thats what I tested them in, and the 1/3 and 1/2" were the same in quality and picture with the IR.

Someone needs to make a 1" PTZ camera now ..

Levon, who makes 1" cameras these days? I looked around but even Inkegami only have 1/3 an 1/2" ... just curious ... do they still exist?

tanks

Rory