homersabile

Minimizing coaxial cables going to dvr

i have a project to install cctv cameras on a 20 storey building. are there any equipments to minimize the coaxial cables going to the dvr? there will be 4 cameras on each floor and the dvr will be located on the basement where the security guard house is located. the pipes leading down is very small. could anyone give me some suggestions? thanks.

i have a project to install cctv cameras on a 20 storey building. are there any equipments to minimize the coaxial cables going to the dvr? there will be 4 cameras on each floor and the dvr will be located on the basement where the security guard house is located. the pipes leading down is very small. could anyone give me some suggestions? thanks.

The obvious solution is to use IP cameras and/or IP encoders. That way a single thin cable can carry the feeds from every camera down to the guard house.

The obvious solution is to use IP cameras and/or IP encoders. That way a single thin cable can carry the feeds from every camera down to the guard house.

This.

Baluns or UTP video hubs will work well, but you still need sufficient conduit per floor - you'd need 19 wires going to the second floor, 18 to the third floor, and so on. If you don't have the room for that, a single run floor-to-floor with a switch on each floor will be pretty much your only option.

Look into using fiber optics. With the type of distances you're talking about, I would think it would be much less problematic, and might even be cheaper. You can run 8 video and two audio channels over one single mode fiber. There's a company called Aventura, for example, that makes video-fiber multiplexors. If you upgrade to IP cameras, you can use the same fiber. With fiber you could go more than two miles with zero loss, zero interference.

While you'd probably spend $40K on fiber muxes, 500 feet of six-strand fiber costs like $150 and is less than 3/8" diameter.

I'm not a fiber-salesman, but I've been working with computer networks for +20 years. Using fiber means an outdoor camera could take a direct lightning strike and not hurt your DVR.

I would look at what fiber is already being run for the building LAN. It's not hard to run some extra fiber strands for video...they might even have unused cable in place.

^You'd still need either a separate run for each floor (or each few floors), which would add up to a thick wad as you approach the bottom floor... or you need to "daisy-chain" down each floor, at which point distance really isn't an issue.

All Good Options, personally I Would look at a Video server (We use Geovision ones but you can use whatever brand tickles your fancy),

It takes 2 or 4 analogue cameras (Depending which model you use) and Runs them over the TCP/IP network, so you could put one each each floor and then use the internal network to get it back to the DVR.

As long as their internal network is a half decent speed you should be fine, Else just patch it in to a separate router downstairs and segregate the cameras from their network and dedicate it solely for the cameras.

Alternatively if you do want to run your own cable, for longevity / upgradable life cycle look at what distances you can get long (10/20/30meters) pre-made fibre cables (which aren't all that bad) and Daisy Chain media converters to each floor.

Ok thats a bit crazy but still doable, a Media converters are cheap and can be upgraded, premade fibre cables are reasonably cheap.

Its crazy but maybe somebody else can build on this for you.

I agre with all opnion but better way is takes Cat5 or abobe grade to install but if it exceed 300M you need use active balun and repeater to amplifier the signal. and you know do not mess up for cheap unit.

http://www.sct.com.tw

I think that he means use Cat5e or above grade (Cat6, Cat7) and use a big "Rope" of Cat's with an active receiver back at the DVR (and repeaters higher up the building if need be)

Its a good solution, the only downside is the amount of Cat's that you would require Essentially 1 Cat cable per floor heading back to the DVR.

BUT That said it would be come easier the higher you go up, Floor one will essentially have 20 Cat's going down the Conduit, floor 2 would have 19 and so on and so forth.

If you can swing it this would definitely be one of the best solutions, and if you want to upgrade to an IP setup later on you've already got cables in place just re-purpose them for Ethernet and plug a 4 port switch in at each floor!

If you can swing it this would definitely be one of the best solutions, and if you want to upgrade to an IP setup later on you've already got cables in place just re-purpose them for Ethernet and plug a 4 port switch in at each floor!

I agree... This is probably what I would do in my building. Analog cameras are much cheaper then IP at this time and getting a good shot indoors in a well light environment (hallway) doesn't require a top of the line camera.