vernrose

Cannot establish link between my Hunt DVR and my ATT router

I have a new Hunt CCTV DVR (HD1648 in Hunt's HCR-T Series) and have connected it to my ATT 2WIRE router with an ethernet cable, but no connection is made-lights do not come on at either the router or the DVR and all attempts to set up port forwarding, using DHCP to have an IP address assigned, trying to do this as a static IPA, etc. do not work. The ethernet cable is fine (works with a desktop computer) and the DVR does not require a cross-over cable, although I haven't tried one. I sent the DVR back to the mfg. and they plugged it in to their Linksys router and said they had no problem establishing a connection. I worked with their technician over the phone for hours and all attempts to establish an internet connection were futile. They focused on port forwarding, firewall exceptions, etc. but not on the basic recognition by the 2WIRE that it was connected to the DVR. Is there something unusual about connecting a DVR to the ATT-2WIRE?

The Hunt manual has a rather complete section on how to connect to a network [i have 2 desktops with ethernet connections and 2 laptops (all running W7, plus an iPad)] all of which are recognized by my 2Wire modem. The DVR gives you a setup screen where you can have a static or dynamic IP. If one selects DHCP, which supposedly automatically gives the DVR and IP address, subnet mask, Gateway and DNS server, there is no response. It also allows for DDNS. Or these can be manually typed in if you choose static. I know my 2Wire Gateway, subnet mask and DNS values, but manual entering them and then selecting a static IP within my allowed range of IP values still doesn't let me link up. The problem is I cannot get a link established between my DVR and the 2Wire using any of these methods. The final suggestion from the Hunt technician was to replace the 2W with a Linksys router, but then I'd have to bridge my 2W and I have the feeling that's not going to solve anything. I could replace the 2Wire with just an ATT modem and then connect a Linksys router, but this shouldn't be necessary. Anybody with any ideas? Thanks in advance

Vern

I have a new Hunt CCTV DVR (HD1648 in Hunt's HCR-T Series) and have connected it to my ATT 2WIRE router with an ethernet cable, but no connection is made-lights do not come on at either the router or the DVR and all attempts to set up port forwarding, using DHCP to have an IP address assigned, trying to do this as a static IPA, etc. do not work. The ethernet cable is fine (works with a desktop computer) and the DVR does not require a cross-over cable, although I haven't tried one. I sent the DVR back to the mfg. and they plugged it in to their Linksys router and said they had no problem establishing a connection. I worked with their technician over the phone for hours and all attempts to establish an internet connection were futile. They focused on port forwarding, firewall exceptions, etc. but not on the basic recognition by the 2WIRE that it was connected to the DVR. Is there something unusual about connecting a DVR to the ATT-2WIRE?

The Hunt manual has a rather complete section on how to connect to a network [i have 2 desktops with ethernet connections and 2 laptops (all running W7, plus an iPad)] all of which are recognized by my 2Wire modem. The DVR gives you a setup screen where you can have a static or dynamic IP. If one selects DHCP, which supposedly automatically gives the DVR and IP address, subnet mask, Gateway and DNS server, there is no response. It also allows for DDNS. Or these can be manually typed in if you choose static. I know my 2Wire Gateway, subnet mask and DNS values, but manual entering them and then selecting a static IP within my allowed range of IP values still doesn't let me link up. The problem is I cannot get a link established between my DVR and the 2Wire using any of these methods. The final suggestion from the Hunt technician was to replace the 2W with a Linksys router, but then I'd have to bridge my 2W and I have the feeling that's not going to solve anything. I could replace the 2Wire with just an ATT modem and then connect a Linksys router, but this shouldn't be necessary. Anybody with any ideas? Thanks in advance

Vern

First of all, what you describe is a very simple problem, the ethernet card in the DVR won't connect to your uVerse router. If you have tried multiple cables and also multiple ports on your uVerse device, then the problem is this: the uVerse Ethernet port settings need to be adjusted to a different link speed/duplex setting, or you need to plug a little ethernet switch in between the DVR and uVerse device. Without going into all the details, you need to log into the web interface of your uverse RG, and go into Settings > LAN > Wired Interfaces. There you will see four Ethernet ports listed, with a pull down that says 'Auto Detect'. Change port 2 (or where you have your DVR plugged in) to 100BaseTX Full Duplex and Click save.

If that does not work, then buy a simple four port ethernet switch with a short 6" patch cable, and plug that in-between the uVerse RG and your DVR. That will work, period.