Sign in to follow this  
designac

64 bit Server vs 32bit clients - Dunlop DS 4008- 4016 cards

Hello

We had been using 2 Dunlop DS4016, 1 Dunlop DS 4008 cards, DVR Server V.4.75 and NVR Client V.4.74 softwares on our PC based surveillance system. Last month our windows XP 32bit based server had some problems and we've changed it with 64bit Windows 7 system. All of our clients are running 32bit Windows Vista and our server is running 64bit Windows 7.

Now we have a problem like this. When we install DVR Server v.5.33 or 5.38 which supports 64bit to our server, Client softwares are not working properly on 32 bit Vista clients. We're installing NVR Client v.5.33 or v.5.38 to the clients computer but the program never starts when we click on it.

Is there any trick for this? or can you offer me a solution about our problem?

Thanks

I dont know about your specific problem, but 64 bit Windows 7 sucks, and 32 bit isnt much better.

Your only choice is probably to install 32 bit and then throw that 64 bit OS in the trash, light it on fire and then curse it to everlasting hell for eternity. Windows Vista was bad, but Windows 7 is ultimately the biggest load of rubbish MS ever came out with, yet (waits for win8 tablet OS to emerge)

) I know... in fact I'm a mac person. But on our server we've 16 GB RAM and as I know 32 bit systems doesn't support more than 3 GB RAM.

Additionally now I've installed NVR Client v.5.38 to the Windows XP 32bit system and the software worked without any problem. I think my problem is I can't run NVR Client v.5.38 or v.5.33 on Windows Vista...

Everything just works on XP .. I still shake my head at MS every time I have the displeasure of working on a Vista or Win 7 machine, and wonder WTF were they thinking .. when there is no XP hardware support left most of us windows programmers will make the move to linux ... its less headache trying to get an EXE running in Wine on Linux, and even Mac.

Question is why doesnt 32 bit OS (not hardware) support more than 3 or 4GB ram?

Its all about money .. its like the 10 user TCPIP limit on XP .. MS wanted you to buy their server OS even though its basically the same. It simply shows the partnership between the Major OS developers and the Computer hardware manufacturers - can anyone say shares?

Also there is alot of hype to having so much RAM to begin with, Ive never had more than 3GB and I do more on my computer than most users, and it rarely gets turned off (in fact I have a mac mini as we speak with XP on it). Unless one is doing some major Megapixel video editing then perhaps .. otherwise I edit video all the time and ram never gets close to being used up. Even then it could go to the hard drive or better yet SSD. If anything the processor plays more into it, but now they are pushing atoms for megapixel apps, like WTF???? Atom is just a glorified celeron, like "cloud" is glorified internet back up.

It must pain those that spend so much on something like a Win7 8 core system with 24GB of RAM that an old cheap Windows 98 computer is 100 times faster, simply because of the OS.

1 step forward, 10 steps back.

If it works on XP, then no need to worry.

The XP OS only needs 40-100mb of Ram, stripped down Win7 easily takes up 700mb-1GB and thats without all the other apps.