Sign in to follow this  
vince32837

Do you guys protect the external wiring on the house?

Please take a look at the typical Florida wiring job on my house in the picture.

1) The power company, Progress Energy provides a strong pipe right into the meter metal box..Feel secure there.

2) The main outdoor electrical panel has no lock, somebody could just open the box flip my main breaker to the house. Do you guys put a lock on your panel?

3) In my front yard, is the over-priced Brighthouse Cable TV has 2 green domes, they come off easy exposing all the wiring running underground to my house and come up to Box A. Both Boxes A and B, are cheap plastic, All Cable TV, digital phone, and high-speed lines come in from here. What if I have a 4-6 IP camera setup around the house, and someone cut those wires between Box A and Box B? Does the camera recording continue to the PC inside the house or is the party over once wires are cut? I know remote viewing is dead at this point.

Do you guys protect outside wiring or just leave as is?

Thanks Vince

160040401_houseoutdoorwiringforumquestion.jpg.bb3cf578f900506f7b4c6c663704033c.jpg

I've always thought it stupid to put the main breaker OUTSIDE the home! And I remember reading somewhere that technically you are not supposed to lock it, as it is there for fire response. Don't take my word for it, I just happen to remember that!

I have all my power wiring protected by at least PVC. Networking (phone line) is inside PVC too. Looks pretty crappy from the picture you have - I could just walk up with some snips and make a mess!

I didn't know Progress Energy was in Florida - they power me in NC too!

I wouldn't worry to much about your electrical panel, if its a concern call your power company and they should be able to lock the panel or give you permission too, and they can definitely lock the meter.

If you pull the meter, you pull the power to the house. The panel isn't needed on the outside at all (around here they don't put them outside), and locking it won't prevent the meter from being pulled.

When the electrical company shuts off your power, they simply pull the meter and put non conductive material over the prongs in the back of it, then they put the meter back in. If someone pulls their meter out, removes the material, and plugs it back in to turn their own power on, the electric company will put a lock on the meter when they come back out.

Your CCTV system will still operate if the phone/internet/tv lines are cut, you just won't have remote access. Unless you have a berg alarm requiring a phone line instead of using cellular, it won't matter if they are cut or not, so I wouldn't mess with the brighthouse equipment at all.

Your best bet is to put a UPS on your NVR, camera power supply, and any switches or other CCTV equipment.

Your CCTV system will still operate if the phone/internet/tv lines are cut, you just won't have remote access. Unless you have a berg alarm requiring a phone line instead of using cellular, it won't matter if they are cut or not, so I wouldn't mess with the brighthouse equipment at all.

Your best bet is to put a UPS on your NVR, camera power supply, and any switches or other CCTV equipment.

fa chris- So even with the outside internet cut, the connection string from CATV modem to router to PoE Switch to IP Camera and the connection from PoE Switch to the recording video PC is not affected? You sure 100%?

fa chris- So even with the outside internet cut, the connection string from CATV modem to router to PoE Switch to IP Camera and the connection from PoE Switch to the recording video PC is not affected? You sure 100%?

Yup. Whatever is connected to the PoE switch will still talk to each other, they'll just lose their ability to talk to the outside world.