thefarmshow

SMT-190dn + Networking mess

okay ill give you guys the run through.

I live on a farm, get our internet through a dish. In the house after the modem, i have a linksys router, off that router i have a Ubiquti Nanostation 2 loco that beams internet over to my shop, where another nanostation 2 catches it, and off that it goes into a dlink 615 router. From that it goes into my SMT-190DN samsung secruity system. I have been trying to figure out how to get it so i can watch the cameras anywhere i want. Im not very smart when it comes to networking, i was suprised i got the nanostations figured out.

I basically need to know what to type in, to get my system to work, I am completely lost on this.

I tried setting up the port forwarding on the Dlink router, but i still cant get anything, and I think the linksys one in the house might be screwing this all up, and maybe even the nanostations too? they act like a router sort of. this is a big mess, but it works good, as i got internet everywhere i need on the farm now.

Thank you!

Disable DHCP on the Lan side on your Dlink. You need to pull DHCP from only one source on the network: the Linksys. After you do this, make sure you still get internet on devices plugged into your Dlink.

You will need to forward ports on your Linksys as this is the first thing in line from your ISP. Also, don't use port 80 as most ISPs block this. I generally use 8080. You'll need to change this on your DVR as well. Also know that with Internet Explorer, you MUST use "http://" in front of the URL if you are using anything but port 80. Example: http://mydvr.dyndns.org:8080/"

how do i disable DHCP on my dlink? im still confused, i almost need a flow chart for directions/steps.

so on my linksys, i'd go : applications and gaming>port range forward> then i need to fill in application,start/end, protocol, IP adress, but i can only change the last number on it?, and then enable it.

On my Dlink i need to disable DHCP, plug in the secruity system, and then how do i access the system on my computer? I dont know how/where to disable the DHCP in my dlink, like which menu it would be under.

On the security system do i want Network access set to DHCP, Static, PPPoE?

than what numbers should i plug into it?

I changed the HTTP Port to 8080 like you.

thanks for the help so far!

Most expedient route might be to toss the Dlink and go buy yourself a simple/cheap 4o4 8 port switch.

Without getting too far into the details, you basically have 2 separate networks, the one at the house, created by the router there, and the one in the shop created by the dlink.

For this to work easily, you want 1 network.

The ubiquitis are like an "invisible ethernet cable". If you were doing this *without* the wireless part, you'd just put a switch in the shop, not another router. And that is going to be the easiest solution, but not the cheapest.

Most expedient route might be to toss the Dlink and go buy yourself a simple/cheap 4o4 8 port switch.

Without getting too far into the details, you basically have 2 separate networks, the one at the house, created by the router there, and the one in the shop created by the dlink.

The ubiquitis are like an "invisible ethernet cable". If you were doing this *without* the wireless part, you'd just put a switch in the shop, not another router. And that is going to be the easiest solution, but not the cheapest.

Thats kind of what I thought was giving me trouble, the nice part is though, having wireless around the shop too.

This 4o4 8 port switch would be like a router? split the signal from the ubiquiti? I have the secrurity system, plus a computer out there that i am running off the ubiquiti.

I am just using the ubiquiti's in bridge mode. Sorry if I am frustrating you guys , I would love to have it work with the hardware I have right now if thats possible?

We got er done by disabling DHCP on the Dlink and plugging in the CPE to the LAN side instead of the WAN on the Dlink.

Thats kind of what I thought was giving me trouble, the nice part is though, having wireless around the shop too.

This 4o4 8 port switch would be like a router? split the signal from the ubiquiti? I have the secrurity system, plus a computer out there that i am running off the ubiquiti.

I am just using the ubiquiti's in bridge mode. Sorry if I am frustrating you guys , I would love to have it work with the hardware I have right now if thats possible?

Sounds like you got it worked out. Just wanted to clarify, I meant to write "4 or 8 port switch", not 4o4 8 Port switch.

Also, just from a simple "training" perspective, you don't "split" an Ethernet signal. Ethernet is designed to be a shared network for access by multiple devices. A switch is the "splitter", the reason you need a switch and not just a simple device like a phone splitter is because there are timing concerns and other things that happen to make sure two devices don't try to talk at the same time and so forth.

If you have an Ethernet cable carrying a signal from a device like a router, wireless bridge, or another switch that is going into a computer, you can plug that cable into a 4 port switch (as an example) and then get 3 new ports to plug more devices into (1 port for the uplink from the existing cable, and then 3 ports for new devices).

There are certainly a lot of other factors to consider, but for a simple home network you don't have to get too deep into design theory and advanced considerations.