We like to design systems with a mix of cameras that best suit the scene, and the budget of our customers, typically with a 3rd party VMS. Does anyone have a "goto" Decoder they like use in a situation like this? Axis has the P7701 but its limited to 1 video feed at once, no matrix like a client software would offer. Ive come across a GeoVision decoder, but cant tell if this unit, or all Decoders for that matter are proprietary. A client connection would be ideal, but not everyone has the funds for a separate PC for each monitor.

Any and all suggestions is greatly appreciated!!

I know an outfit in Lithuania that makes one...

Not entirely clear what your end goal is - are you trying to display select cameras on separate remote displays?

If it's just analog cameras, you could chain them through a mux or quad.

You could also look at Vigil hybrid DVRs - the DRX series uses a software-compression card with software MUX output that can display any mix of analog and IP cameras on a composite monitor.

Vigil also has an HD Viewer module that can output any mix of IP cameras and analog channels (re-streamed from the Vigil DVR) on multiple VGA/DVI/HDMI monitors, using multiple video cards either in a separate machine, or in the DVR itself.

How could I forget about my invaluable Lithuanian Partners!!

End goal is to display video from various IP cameras only. Looking for a decoder box that will pull that video from the network and offer a clean display onto a monitor, possibly in a matrix style. I would then want to replicate this for multiple monitors around a facility. Im going to take a look at the Vigil HD Viewer and see if it fits. I was hoping for a unit that would be separate from the NVR that would simply sit on the network and offer a small physical footprint. Maybe its the Purple Unicorn im after...

Thanks again for your input!!

If your DVR is Windows-based, there's no reason the HD Viewer software wouldn't run on it (although it may prove excessively CPU-intensive).

Two main problems I see with a simple decoder box: one, it would need to support any cameras you want to display through it; two, all the ones I'm aware of output composite video only, and that will look like crap on any LCD monitor.

You need something that outputs VGA, DVI or HDMI if you want to use full native resolution on the monitors (HDMI splitters and extenders are relatively inexpensive), and you need something that will accept streams from a wide range of cameras. HD Viewer will do that... I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Exacq, NUUO, etc. have something similar as well. Only thing I don't know is if 3xLogic will sell JUST the HDV software, or if you'd need to buy the whole machine, but worst case, it's going to be a mid-size tower box - not a SMALL footprint, but not a massive one either.

If you need to show the same matrix view on all of the monitors you can just use one client machine and send the video over CAT5 (VGA or HDMI) to as many monitors as you need.

This is what I've done as well.

NLSS has a multi-channel HD decoder that might fit your needs. It's about twice the price of an Axis P7701 but it displays a full matrix of up to 16 cameras (I believe in the latest firmware) including HD cameras (which is rare for decoders).

http://www.nlss.com/productsdecoder.html

We tested an earlier version in March 2011. It worked OK but at that time it only displayed up to 4 channels. Also it requires/uses a clunky remote control which is fine if you don't need to change the display often but is a pain if operators will be changing views regularly.