blake

Trying to understand how Hybrid dvr works..

I know nothing about Hybrid dvr's so i'm trying to understand and need help.I'm looking at going 8 channel hybrid so that i have a mix of analog and ip cameras.From what i know,the analog cameras hook right into the back of the dvr as usual,but the ip cameras have to go camera >poe switch > router.So what is the purpose of the hybrid dvr if the ip cameras never connect to it?

IP cameras record via the network, so the DVR must be connected to the same network as the cameras. In its simplest form, you could have one camera plugged directly into the DVR's network port - just think of the switch as being a "splitter" for that port, allowing you to connect multiple cameras.

A PoE switch *is not required* - almost all cameras can be powered normally (12VDC/24VAC); PoE just makes it more convenient since you don't need a separate power supply or power wiring.

A router *is not required* - that's normally used between your network and your internet connection.

I sorta understand Soundy.I'm going to be using a EH1008.I read thru the manual and couldn't understand it for the life of me.I've been online looking for some sort of drawing to better help me see it with my own eyes ya know.The dvr will be connected to my network and the poe switch i'm using has 4 poe ports and 4 non poe ports.So basically it'll be 6 analog cameras > dvr > dvr internet connection to non poe port on switch then switch to wireless router .Then 1 ipcam straight to poe port on switch..

I've been online looking for some sort of drawing to better help me see it with my own eyes ya know.The dvr will be connected to my network and the poe switch i'm using has 4 poe ports and 4 non poe ports.So basically it'll be 6 analog cameras > dvr > dvr internet connection to non poe port on switch then switch to wireless router .Then 1 ipcam straight to poe port on switch..

You got it, Pontiac!

So basically the ip camera back feeds itself thru the network to record onto the hybrid dvr?? I'm thinking this will also be a good time to purchase a new router.The linkys router i have is a WRT54G2 and right now we have 2 laptops,one desktop and direct tv hooked to it all.Dunno if when i add the cctv to it if they'll be problems.

Edited by Guest

I wouldn't say "back feeds" really, since a network is bi-directional anyway.

Essentially, the DVR sends a command (or commands) to the camera requesting a stream, and the camera replies by sending the video data. The DVR then receives that data and writes it to disk.

Functionally, it's no different than watching a video on YouTube - you plug the URL into your browser, connect to the site, click the link for the video you want, and the site sends you the video stream until it ends.

Ahhh gotcha.Seems a lot easier now that i have a clear picture.For 7 cameras i was thinking of a 500gb hard drive with the system set on motion recording..

The more drive space you can afford, the better - how much time you get on that will depend on a lot of factors, including various quality settings and how much motion there actually is.

Yeah, ya know for 155.00 bucks i can get a 1tb hard drive so screw it i'll just do that.Hey so should i upgrade my wireless router also?

The router has no bearing on the DVR/cameras, only on the internet connection, so unless you need to improve your wireless signal or something, I don't see any reason to replace it.