schybrid

ACTI KCM 5211e VS AXIS P1347 ????

I still havnt bought an IP camera yet.

The Axis P1347 is nice, but its just too expensive, so I might get the ACTI-5211e.

I have a few questions maybe you guys can answer.

The ACTI-5211e ???

1. Acti said i had to leave my computer ON 24/7 for recording to work, if i turn off comp, then camera wont record, damn, why,and i think camera has SD card, so what the ???

2.The frames per second on this camera are 8fps @ 2032 x 1920, 15fps @ 1920 x 1080, which i think are ok, your thought ?

3.This camera 5211e vs 5211 has a IR. I will be using this camera inside directly against a glass window, Will the IR be affected by the glass ? I want the IR so my night shots are better.

4.This camera has DC iris vs Axis's P-iris. I know P-iris is better, but by how much ?

5. Lastly, the cost of this camera(acti 5211e) is approx $715. The Axis P1347 is approx $1160. Is the $450-$500 worth it to get Axis instead.

I'm using the camera for front of house, direct range needed, approx 30'(1080p), and 60', for farther activity(720p).

thanks guys

Forget using camera-integrated IR from INSIDE the house. The reflection off the glass will kill any chance of getting a usable picture.

The Axis is 5MP, but has no zoom. IIRC, the Acti has 18x optical zoom, along with a megapixel imager. If you really want detail of something going on outside, the Acti would be better, but you'd have to be there physically manning the zoom feature.

8fps is plenty for the average security implementation.

The Acti camera has on-board storage, but I don't think the firmware that enables it has been released yet (due in 1Q of 2012). Absent local storage, you'll have to have SOMEPLACE to send that image stream... regardless of whether it's the Axis or the Acti.

thanks for your reply. As far as the inside mounted camera. I'm currently using the Logitech 750i camera, and i have it mounted directly square against the glass window of my house, and the image is working ok, but the camera does not have IR. Will the Acti have a problem with JUST the IR reflection not working correctly or the ACTUAL image itself, because like i said, the Logitech camera i have is working ok against the glass, and its an inside camera.

thanks for your help , i appreciate it alot.

The build-in IR will reflect of the glass.

Absolutely. Don't even waste your money trying it. Get an non-IR-equipped camera, and put an external illuminator outside if you really need an IR source.

A cheap $40 Ebay illuminator would be adequate for a temporary install. I'd get one of these dome models.. I've had pretty good luck with them, and they run nicely off a standard 12VDC power supply (not my auction):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indoor-Outdoor-Waterproof-Dome-IR-Illuminator-CCTV-/220426861129?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335276fa49

DAMNNNNNNN it !!!!!!!

why does this have to be so difficult for me, haaaa, j/k, rant here !!!!

I actually decided on getting the AXIS P1347,non "e", and mounting it against the window of my house square, just as i have my logitech 750i. The rreason i wanted the AXIS P1347 was for its sharpness,resolution. I dont need ZOOM, but the ACTI 5211(e) has great resolution, and cost only about $700 vs AXIS P1347 of $1200.

Basically what im looking for is the following :

a good quality camera, 1080p resolution, dont know if i need megapixel or not, but people say megapixel is better when zooming a screenshot for better / sharper images. The logitech 750i camera i have now cant even show facial recognition , licence plate quality from 15 ft. thats pathetic !!!!!

i want a camera with good field of view, as much as possible,1080p,$700 range.

WHAT CAN I GET !!!!!!!!!!! HELPPPP !!!!! PLZ !!!!!

and i have to use the camera inside and mount it against my window square against glass. I cannot have it outside for 2 reasons :

1. association wont allow it. i live in townhouse complex.

2. dont want neighbors to feel they lost privacy.

anybodys help would be greatly appreciated, immensly !!!!!

also, i have a 250watt motion activated flood lamp, so i dont know if i really even need a IR camera ??? but it would be nice to have.

this is basically what im trying to say.

Basically what im looking for is the following :

a good quality camera, 1080p resolution, dont know if i need megapixel or not, but people say megapixel is better when zooming a screenshot for better / sharper images. The logitech 750i camera i have now cant even show facial recognition , licence plate quality from 15 ft. thats pathetic !!!!!

Get the ACTi KCM-5211 and not the KCM-5211e if you do not want the IR portion. Then you get the zoom and the higher MP of that camera. Though you may not use the zoom feature you can use it to set it where you want and leave it there to record I guess. Just a thought.

I just ordered the 5211e and while I need a little zoom I did sure not need 18x, but for the 4mp and at least having the zoom option I went that route. I plan on zooming a little and then just leaving it there, I'll be disabling any PTZ options for my users anyway. Using it for a LP cam, won't have it up for a few weeks but we'll see how it works out, hoping for the best!