frijoli

Outdoor cameras or cameras in Enclosures?

My overall system will be mixed IP and analog using an encoder. I already have the NAS server with built in surveillance package and licensing.

My real question is:

It seems dedicated outdoor cameras are more expensive than a box camera. It also seems that there are many more options to get better cameras and lenses in a box style that a dedicated outdoor camera.

Since camera enclosures are very reasonable on eBay and other outlet sights, and it appears that buying box cameras with outdoor housings offers a lot of flexibility and opportunity to upgrade/change cameras fairly easily if necessity dictates down the road.

So, other than most outdoor cameras having built in, albeit limited viability, IR lighting, what else am I missing by going box camera and housing?

Thanks,

Clay

It seems dedicated outdoor cameras are more expensive than a box camera.

Not particularly. Keep in mind that a "dedicated outdoor camera" (I assume you're talking dome or bullet style) is camera, housing, AND LENS (and sometimes IR LEDs). With a box cam, you still need housing AND LENS (and sometimes external LEDs).

It also seems that there are many more options to get better cameras and lenses in a box style that a dedicated outdoor camera.

There's more room in an separate enclosure for larger lenses... in most cases you're probably not going to find that's an issue, unless you need to go really long-range.

There's no PARTICULAR reason a box camera should be higher or lower quality than any other design - in fact, several cameras are available, same internals, in both box and dome designs. Case in point (one that I use regularly) is the Panasonic 504 (and older 484) SuperDynamic models - WV-CP504 for the box version, WV-CW504 for the dome model. There's even a super-short 15-50mm lens available that fits inside the dome

Since camera enclosures are very reasonable on eBay and other outlet sights

Yeah, keep in mind, a lot of those aren't fully or properly sealed, aren't at all vandal resistant, aren't very sturdy, and don't include heater or blower options. I've seen lots of cheap housings where the seals degraded over a very short period of time, and the only thing that saved them from leaking was a decent rain-shedding design (I've also seen plenty that DID leak as the seals failed, and destroyed the camera).

A GOOD outdoor enclosure is easily going to run you $60-$100.

and it appears that buying box cameras with outdoor housings offers a lot of flexibility and opportunity to upgrade/change cameras fairly easily if necessity dictates down the road.

There is that... they also tend to be a lot easier to steal, if that's a concern in your area - it's easy to toss a rope over a wall-mounted housing and yank it down.

If that is a concern, then in such cases a wire mesh protection cage is appropriate.

I have never seen or heard of anyone using a lasso to vandalize a CCTV camera, although

I don't doubt it happens, you never can tell what criminals will do, I think it must be quite

a rare occurence.

Depends on the area. I've seen a lot of cameras stolen, and enclosures are by far the most common to go, because they're the easiest to remove, especially when they're hanging off a wall... not always with a rope, sometimes guys will just climb some handy piece of equipment (things like ice machines, display cases, etc., when dealing with retail locations), jump up, and just hang off the thing until it rips out of the wall. Sometimes if it's high enough, they'll just go on the roof, lean over, and remove mounting bolts. Seen plenty on pedestal mounts on rooftops and parapets removed by guys climbing on the roof too.

And yeah, I've even had a dome or two removed by someone tossing a rope over them and hanging off it.

Thanks for the response Matt.

Points I hadn't quite put together.

I guess my point about higher quality box cameras was related to money for the camera/lens itself. Of course this was assuming that the housing was in fact approximately 50-60 dollars. I wouldn't buy a non branded outdoor housing without heat and fan.

Since this is a home set-up, not high crime area and somewhat of a hobby/trial set-up I think I will play with both.

Let me ask a hypothetical; Since I have the opportunity to use either IP or analog need to look down a driveway and survey an area from 25ft away to 75ft away and 20ft wide, would I need to seriously look at a megapixel camera, and what lens?

I have been considering the CNB BBM-24f, however if it makes more sense to go higher resolution I can do that as well.

If that is a concern, then in such cases a wire mesh protection cage is appropriate.

I have never seen or heard of anyone using a lasso to vandalize a CCTV camera, although

I don't doubt it happens, you never can tell what criminals will do, I think it must be quite

a rare occurence.

I don't think that will be a concern for me.

In any case I do have to hang it off the wall. At least in the drive/parking area. When I'm done with all of the cameras, there won't be any way to pull it off the wall without being seen.

Clay

I guess my point about higher quality box cameras was related to money for the camera/lens itself.

My experience, once it's all factored together, there really isn't a huge difference once all the parts are considered... and of course, assuming you're comparing apples to apples (such the aforementioned Panasonic cameras, where the two are actually the same internals), as well as comparing similar-quality lenses.

Of course this was assuming that the housing was in fact approximately 50-60 dollars. I wouldn't buy a non branded outdoor housing without heat and fan.

Heater and fan aren't always necessary, so don't think that you HAVE to have them... the point is that cheap housings don't generally offer the options IF you do.

Let me ask a hypothetical; Since I have the opportunity to use either IP or analog need to look down a driveway and survey an area from 25ft away to 75ft away and 20ft wide, would I need to seriously look at a megapixel camera, and what lens?

I have been considering the CNB BBM-24f, however if it makes more sense to go higher resolution I can do that as well.

It really depends on the amount of detail you want. If you want to read plates, analog should be fine; if you want to read the date stickers on a plate, you may need megapixel. Keep in mind that as the resolution goes up, light sensitivity goes down, so if you need something to give you good image with low light, you may find it preferable to stay with analog. There's really a lot of factors to consider for the specific purpose.

Of course, if you're thinking you may want to go MP later (and since you're experimenting, you probably want to plan for some flexibility), you'll definitely want to wire the camera with Cat5.

Heater and fan aren't always necessary, so don't think that you HAVE to have them... the point is that cheap housings don't generally offer the options IF you do.

I certainly wouldn't buy cheap as to a housing. There are "inexpensive" good housings available. They don't seem to hold their value like cameras, and surplus units from good manufacturers are available too.

It really depends on the amount of detail you want. If you want to read plates, analog should be fine; if you want to read the date stickers on a plate, you may need megapixel.
I'd like to read plates, stickers would be cool, but not necessary.
Keep in mind that as the resolution goes up, light sensitivity goes down, so if you need something to give you good image with low light, you may find it preferable to stay with analog.
Low light may definitely be an issue. I'm limited from a "neighborhood" allowance as to what I can do from a lighting stand point. IR is allowed, visible is not in they areas I want it.

Of course, if you're thinking you may want to go MP later (and since you're experimenting, you probably want to plan for some flexibility), you'll definitely want to wire the camera with Cat5.
I will eventually want to go MP as the technology and value gets better. I assume you mean run Cat5 with a balun initially, and then convert when necessary to ethernet?

Thanks for your help guys!!

Clay