jbak

How to show HD video from camera 50 feet away?

I apologize if this is a noob question, but I can't figure this out with google. I have a regular 1920 x 1080 LCD monitor that has DVI and VGA inputs. I can't change the monitor, as it's part of a kiosk. I need to connect an HD camera directly to it, for live video view. The camera needs to have auto-iris and support 1080p resolution. It will be located approximately 30-50 ft away from the monitor. What camera can I use? Are there any such cameras that have direct dvi output? I was thinking of using a dvi repeater and just connecting directly to DVI input on the monitor.

I imagine there is some industry standard way of doing this, to get HD live viewing. I really do not need any recording, just plain camera-monitor pairing, with no or minimal quality loss.

Look for a camera that has HDMI output - there are several out there, I believe Samsung has a couple models. HDMI video is the exact same signal as DVI, so you can connect to a DVI input with a simple adapter.

One catch for you, though: 50' is getting a little long for an HDMI cable, so you may need to use extenders that will run HDMI over two Cat5e cables - these can be had for under $50.