quick_pick

ir corrected lens question

How much of a difference is there between using a non ir corrected lens on a day/night camera as compared to using an ir corrected lens?

More specificaly, will the Pentax TS2V314CED provide decent video when the camera switches to night mode?

Thanks in advance

[if ya can't pick it in under 2 minutes, drill it]

if you have an IR light source, you need an IR corrected lens. If you do not have an IR light source, you do not.

I think what that means is that a non ir corrected lens will not "see" my external ir illuminator

Is that correct?

if you have an IR light source, you need an IR corrected lens. If you do not have an IR light source, you do not.

I think what that means is that a non ir corrected lens will not "see" my external ir illuminator

Is that correct?

No, it means that your image will be hopelessly out of focus. IR wavelengths pass through lenses differently than visible light, so the lens needs to be able to compensate for this to retain focus. Strictly speaking, all wavelengths pass through lenses slightly differently - that's part of how a prism works to split light.

I've gotten better pics at night, even not using IR. Better contrast/focus. I suppose there is a little bit of IR from the house lights etc. Still every little bit helps at night.

I've also used non-IR corrected with varying success, it depends. Also on MP cameras with a small sensor you can clearly see the focus shift even without an IR illum. If you can afford it and have day/night I'd do the IR corrected.