Secerator

Optex LX-402 motion sensor. Disable led?

Is it possible to disable the LED light inside this sensor so it doesn't glow red at night and still detect motion?

Optex LX-402

Thanks

Every quality PIR ( and Optex is good quality ) will have a removeable link on the circuit board to disable the led. The led is usually disabled when mounted in public areas to prvent walk testing by potential criminals.

I seriously did cover part of the led with some black electrical tape. The red LED was way too bright at night time. So i covered most of it but left a little exposed so that I would be able to still tell that it was working. Now I can walk up my front door walkway and look up to see that i'm still triggering it.

I seriously did cover part of the led with some black electrical tape. The red LED was way too bright at night time. So i covered most of it but left a little exposed so that I would be able to still tell that it was working. Now I can walk up my front door walkway and look up to see that i'm still triggering it.

Wrong ! The led is an indication of sensing NOT triggering. I have experienced lots of PIRs where the led is coming on but the relay is not tripping.

I can't understand the mindset of someone who would put tape over the led instead of using the disabling facility already built in.

What built-in disabling facility? Earlier you said it should have one because it's Optex, but there is none evident and I see no mention of one in the documentation. Are you assuming?

Wrong ! The led is an indication of sensing NOT triggering. I have experienced lots of PIRs where the led is coming on but the relay is not tripping.

I can't understand the mindset of someone who would put tape over the led instead of using the disabling facility already built in.

WRONG! Do youself a favor and READ the install manual. It says "The LED indicators lights when the unit detects moving object"

If you do have a lot of experience where the relay is not tripping, then maybe you should learn how to be a better installer?

oh and by the way, this unit does not have a built in way to disable the LED.

http://www.optexamerica.com/sites/default/files/resource-uploads/LX-402,%20802%20manual.pdf

What built-in disabling facility? Earlier you said it should have one because it's Optex, but there is none evident and I see no mention of one in the documentation. Are you assuming?

Sorry Richard I was assuming. A quick check of the 402 specs reveals that it doesn't. I am really quite surprised as it is an industry standard feature. I have never come across a quality PIR without this feature It is a bit like selling a car without a steering wheel.

@ Lowpro - please think twice before displaying your ignorance. I said " the led is an indication of sensing not triggering". "Sensing" and "detecting" mean the same thing to me. Having spent 8 years doing component level electronic design in my earlier life leaves me with a pretty good understanding of electronics. If you want I could go into the workings of an PIR but at this stage I'll just say that the led is simply a visual indicator attached to the IR discrimination circuitry while the O/P is dependant on the o/p relay tripping which is after the processing electronics has done it job. The two most common faults for PIRs are the IR sensor and the output telay/ driver circuitry.

How you relate the relay not tripping to poor installation practices is beyond me, may you could shed light on this.

Sorry Richard I was assuming. A quick check of the 402 specs reveals that it doesn't. I am really quite surprised as it is an industry standard feature. I have never come across a quality PIR without this feature It is a bit like selling a car without a steering wheel.

@ Lowpro - please think twice before displaying your ignorance. I said " the led is an indication of sensing not triggering". "Sensing" and "detecting" mean the same thing to me. Having spent 8 years doing component level electronic design in my earlier life leaves me with a pretty good understanding of electronics. If you want I could go into the workings of an PIR but at this stage I'll just say that the led is simply a visual indicator attached to the IR discrimination circuitry while the O/P is dependant on the o/p relay tripping which is after the processing electronics has done it job. The two most common faults for PIRs are the IR sensor and the output telay/ driver circuitry.

How you relate the relay not tripping to poor installation practices is beyond me, may you could shed light on this.

Wow, you are really reaching. If anyone is displaying ignorance, it's you, for assuming from the start. Don't you worry, I have a pretty good idea when my PIR is working, or not. And it won't have anything to do with covering the bright red LED with a piece of black tape. " title="Applause" />

Wow, you are really reaching. If anyone is displaying ignorance, it's you, for assuming from the start. Don't you worry, I have a pretty good idea when my PIR is working, or not. And it won't have anything to do with covering the bright red LED with a piece of black tape. " title="Applause" />

Lowpro you seem over anxious to focus on the part of my post directed to Richard (my mistake of assuming) while staying well away from the part directed to you. Yes the specs says " the led lights when the unit detects movement " and your car owners manual says " the motor won't run without petrol " so when the motor next won't start then obviously it MUST be out of petrol. pleeaase!

I have stated that most quality PIRs have a led disable feature and that that the led won't necessarily light when movement is detected. If you want to dispute any of this then go for it.