MaxIcon

Simple multi IP cam desktop software?

I'm looking for a simple, uncluttered app that I can run on various Windows desktops to view 2-4 IP cams of various makes over the local intranet. I don't need a recording or anything except switching between small and large windows.

Blue Iris does this well, but would be a bit expensive to put on multiple PCs, and I really don't need the full functionality except on the NVR pc, and the BI web viewer shows all the BI cams, while I only want a few of them for this use. I've been using multiple web browser windows, which are a pain to manage.

Is there anything inexpensive or free that's simple, low resource, and user friendly? Something like IP Cam Viewer for the iPhone/Android would be perfect!

Milestone "Go" version is free for 8 cameras, and 5 days archive, but does only allow one concurrent client connection per server. (you could start there to see if it will work, and to test it's features).

Their "Essential" version allows for five concurrent client connections, and is $100 USD list for base with two channels, and $50 per channel after that.

Licensing is for the server PC, clients are free.

I played with Milestone and the free version only allows one audio channel, and local client connection. Nice program to use, wish it was a little faster response wise. Also if you export you get a nice BIG Milestone logo in the corner...tis free though.

You could also just find out the string for mjpeg if this is a one time thing and do your own viewer, the code has been posted several times. Works with Axis Arecont Pan really any jpeg push. e.g. attached, I keep copies on all the computers in the house.

43216196_Picture9.thumb.jpg.8d688ac46926c99281a520f49af1d7b2.jpg

Yeah, the client limit's a no-go for Milestone Go for this app, and I'm looking at 5 current, probably 8 total channels, so the cost creeps on up for the licensed version. I'll give it a try when I get the time, though.

I've played around a little with some BI related javascript, but I'm an engineer, not a programmer. I can hack existing code pretty well, but not so good on building from scratch, so a sample version would be just the ticket. I couldn't find the viewer code after a quick search, so any pointers or links would be appreciated.

Yeah, the client limit's a no-go for Milestone Go for this app, and I'm looking at 5 current, probably 8 total channels, so the cost creeps on up for the licensed version. I'll give it a try when I get the time, though.

I've played around a little with some BI related javascript, but I'm an engineer, not a programmer. I can hack existing code pretty well, but not so good on building from scratch, so a sample version would be just the ticket. I couldn't find the viewer code after a quick search, so any pointers or links would be appreciated.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23345&hilit=ip+viewer+mike_va

VitaminD webpage has some good links for camera strings if you poke around. Actually, they let you run even the full version on more than one computer so might be another option but the full version might be to expensive for what you are looking at or not do what you need.

One last method that may not meet your needs would just be to use VNC to access the computer.

Blue Iris's web interface is easily changed to display whichever set of cameras you need. Head over to cam-it.org for the BI support forum.

mike_va, thanks for the link. Your example in that thread is just what I'm trying to do, and this will be a big help. I'm already working on some sample code from cam-it, but this is closer to what I'm after, so less learning curve and tweaking in the limited time I have for it.

A turnkey app would be ideal, so I don't have to tweak the code as my setup changes. Something like BI3, but just a simple viewer, without all the bells and whistles of the full recorder version, would be perfect. I'd pay a nominal sum to BI for that (BI3 is already a great value for the full setup), and I bet there are others who would. In this day of selling more simple apps for less money, it seems like a workable business model (IP Cam Viewer for mobile phones is a good example).

Do you already have your cameras selected? Some cameras can be viewed directly in a web browser and easily embedded in a web page. IQEye cameras have an MJPEG stream that you can view in any browser independent of a control interface, and the control interface runs using both ActiveX and Java, making them compatible with just about any browser out there.

This is the approach I think I'll take. I'm alternating between several individual web pages (one for each cam) and the demo version of BI3, but both get a little cluttered, even on a multi-monitor system.

I'm playing with the code example mike_va posted, but don't have much time except on the weekends. That simple view is perfect for casual monitoring in my setup.