corjest

Looking for Camera Recommendations

We'd like to set up our home for video surveillance and I'd love some recommendations from people.

Our primary goal is to have outdoor cameras to act as a deterrent, but we'd still want them to be functional. We'd like both the capability to record the video and to watch it real time from a Smartphone. From my research so far, of which I only have limited understanding, it seems like there is an exclusivity between the outdoor DVR recorder and the indoor Smartphone accessible camera.

We're not looking for some middle tier piece of equipment like an LCD monitor. We have a wireless network including range extender that covers the entire house. I have a media server with plenty of space to write video too.

So any suggestions? Even links to beginner's guides would help. The search results for my queries so far seem to be flooded with largely useless links and information.

Edit: Based on my study so far I'm considering putting two Foscam FI8918W cameras indoors to meet our recording and remote needs, and possibly some sort of dummy cam outside to act as a deterrent.

I would look at Axis cameras, their cameras are genuine commercial grade unlike Foscam. Axis also has wireless options as well as cameras with on-board storage (using an SD card). They also have the largest market share when it comes to IP cameras which doesn't necessarily mean they're the best cameras but it does mean they're the most commonly supported camera. You will find almost any video management software, NVR, or iPhone/Blackberry/Android app will support their cameras. I think your long term options with Foscam will be very limited.

Colin B

http://www.zeecure.com