mrshanes

Vivotek FD8134 motion detection problems

Hi all. I could use a little help.

This is my first jump into security cams and software and I'm struggling trying to understand the motion detection part. I'm hoping it's something simple I'm missing that you all can help me with.

I've got the cam up and running and can access it through the web interface for configuration - no problems there. I recently installed Vivotek's ST7501 software and I'm having trouble getting the motion detection to work. I've configured the motion windows on the motion detection tab through the web configuration and they seem to work fine (I can produce movements in each of the windows and they sense the movement and turn red on the screen). I've also configured the motion trigger events in the ST7501 software for recording on this cam. Here's the tricky part: If I have the web configuration for the camera open and on the motion detection tab, motion detection in the ST7501 software kicks in and it records fine. If I change to another tab in the web configuration or close the web configuration all together, the motion trigger in ST7501 doesn't work at all. It won't sense the motion or record. Any ideas? I know there are other programs out there, but I wanted to try and get ST7501 to work since it's free.

Thanks,

Shane

Please clarify...

Are you talking about the settings at the camera using the installation wizard software or on the ST software?

Setting up the motion detection on the installation wizard (web interface) isnt needed if you are using the ST7501 software. The only reason I have used that is if I was using the camera as a standalone camera (not connected to the network) and saving data to the SD card.

The ST software will recognize motion and record, if you set it up that way.

In the ST software, go to configuration then station settings.

In there go to recording schedule settings, then where it says time frame, single click on Always...

then where it says recording settings click event and make sure that motion is checked.

Click apply...then once its saved you can check at the bottom to see the instant playback or search for recorded data

Strange thing...

When I got home yesterday I checked the server and the motion detection is now working. It recorded several events during the day yesterday. Not sure what triggered it to start working though. Perhaps logging out of the live client saved some settings and it started working.

Based on some of your replies I have questions. If I don't use the installation wizard to configure motion detection on the camera, how does the ST software know where to look for motion or does it just look in the entire FOV? And how does it know what sensitivity and percentage to use?

Thanks for the replies.

After poking around on my system I realize I was partially wrong. Typically when I setup a system I will use the entire FOV.... so that may not be the perfect scenario in your case.

If you want the whole FOV to detect you utilize just the Live Client software and the way I described. If you have a specific area or areas you do setup those areas in the installation wizard. I just tried it on mine and it even shows the red motion box that I just created in the installation wizard on the live client screen.

So.. i tried recreating what you where talking about and mine still works. Another way you can check to see if it is working by looking at the log at the bottom of the screen and it shows in the log the trigger and the camera name.

After poking around on my system I realize I was partially wrong. Typically when I setup a system I will use the entire FOV.... so that may not be the perfect scenario in your case.

If you want the whole FOV to detect you utilize just the Live Client software and the way I described. If you have a specific area or areas you do setup those areas in the installation wizard. I just tried it on mine and it even shows the red motion box that I just created in the installation wizard on the live client screen.

So.. i tried recreating what you where talking about and mine still works. Another way you can check to see if it is working by looking at the log at the bottom of the screen and it shows in the log the trigger and the camera name.

Thanks for the update. It seems to be working fine now. Not sure what I did to make it start working, but I'll play around some more and see what happens.

Thanks for checking yours.