Shrenik

Multiple DVR connection

Ethernet on UTP is limited by spec to ~100m so at least some of those connections will have to use either extenders or some sort of directional point-to-point wireless.

Hardwired is ideal, but that will depend on whether you have or can install conduit, or fly the wires between buildings. You'd probably use extenders where needed, and "daisy chain" the connections through switches in each location.

If wireless were the only option, I'd think the best bet would be if you had line-of-sight from each location to CR and set up a direct wireless link back, rather than "daisy chaining" between the other locations.

The layout is of a residential complex with buildings towering 10 floors.

Hence, wireless from each location to CR will be difficult.

What I was thinking of is to connect DVRs wherever possible using wired connections and then adding wireless access point at other locations.

Say, connect L2 and L3 using a switch and similarly L4, L5 and L6 using a switch. Then use multiple point-to-point wireless access points to connect L1 to L2-L3 :: L2-L3 to L4-L5-L6 :: L7 to L4-L5-L6 :: and finally L4-L5-L6 to CR. Is this possible?

Sounds reasonable.

You could also look at giving L1 its own wireless link directly to L4, and even another one between L1 and L7, and possibly L2/L3 to L7 as well. L3 could also have a direct wireless link to CR in addition to L4. With redundant paths, you'd have greater overall reliability (providing it's all set up properly, of course) - something of a MESH network. Basically, anywhere you have a line-of-sight between groups of buildings, you'd add a wireless link, so if one link fails for whatever reason, there's another route for the data to take.

One other thought: presumably these buildings are already interconnected in some way, probably for phone, cable, intercoms (entry gate control, that sort of thing?). With the appropriate devices, you can run ethernet a few hundred meters over a single wire pair, which would give you a hardwired option between buildings. I wouldn't think it would be hard to find a single wire pair between each building or set of buildings.

You shouldn't need to worry about any port forwarding if you're only viewing things from a client PC in the CR location. Port forwarding only applies if you need to provide outside access in through a router.

One other thought: presumably these buildings are already interconnected in some way, probably for phone, cable, intercoms (entry gate control, that sort of thing?). With the appropriate devices, you can run ethernet a few hundred meters over a single wire pair, which would give you a hardwired option between buildings. I wouldn't think it would be hard to find a single wire pair between each building or set of buildings.

Can you suggest any devices for transmitting Ethernet over single wire pair?

You shouldn't need to worry about any port forwarding if you're only viewing things from a client PC in the CR location. Port forwarding only applies if you need to provide outside access in through a router.

I need to provide outside access also !!!

There are a few ways to do it, although with this many different machines, depending on how the DVRs do it, it could become a logistical nightmare... or at least a logistical pain in the arse.

For starters, most DVRs with web clients use at least two ports: HTTP on port 80 for the initial incoming connection, and a second separate data port that the web client actually communicates and receives video on. Setting up unique forwarding for the HTTP ports is easy - personally, I'd leave the DVRs all on 80, and then set the router to handle the forwarding as necessary... for example, "public" port 81 might forward to "private" port 80 for L1's DVR; port 82 for L2's DVR, etc. Then from the outside, you'd use "http://shrenik.com:81" to view L1; "http://shrenik.com:82" for L2, and so on.

Where it gets tricky is in forwarding the data ports: you would need to make sure the client allows you to specify a different data port(s). If it uses, for example, port 8000, and there's no option to change that in the client, then you'll have no way to make the remote client route to the proper system.

With that many machines (and I'm guessing a buttload of cameras to go with them) you really want to be careful to control outside access, because your internet connection could get saturated really fast.

Can you suggest any devices for transmitting Ethernet over single wire pair?

Can't think of any off the top of my head. I know GEM has a unit for extending up to 1.2km over Cat5e, but not a single pair. They also have a couple that run over coax, but you're less likely to find available coax between buildings.

I know others here use such devices though, so someone else should step in with some suggestions

Veracity has some pretty good extenders specifically designed for CCTV http://www.veracityglobal.com/products/ethernet-and-poe-extension.aspx

Alternatively you can also look at B&B electronics. They have some nice extenders that run over two conductor wire. http://www.bb-elec.com/Subcategory.asp?SubCategoryId=935&Trail=1&TrailType=Top

Colin B

http://www.zeecure.com

Thanks !!! will check on these...

There are a few ways to do it, although with this many different machines, depending on how the DVRs do it, it could become a logistical nightmare... or at least a logistical pain in the arse.

For starters, most DVRs with web clients use at least two ports: HTTP on port 80 for the initial incoming connection, and a second separate data port that the web client actually communicates and receives video on. Setting up unique forwarding for the HTTP ports is easy - personally, I'd leave the DVRs all on 80, and then set the router to handle the forwarding as necessary... for example, "public" port 81 might forward to "private" port 80 for L1's DVR; port 82 for L2's DVR, etc. Then from the outside, you'd use "http://shrenik.com:81" to view L1; "http://shrenik.com:82" for L2, and so on.

Where it gets tricky is in forwarding the data ports: you would need to make sure the client allows you to specify a different data port(s). If it uses, for example, port 8000, and there's no option to change that in the client, then you'll have no way to make the remote client route to the proper system.

With that many machines (and I'm guessing a buttload of cameras to go with them) you really want to be careful to control outside access, because your internet connection could get saturated really fast.

Can i not simply use the below setting for each DVR:

L1: HTTP port - 81 ; Data Port 8001

L2: HTTP port - 82 ; Data Port 8002

L3: HTTP port - 83 ; Data Port 8003 and so on....

And then use the client software using ports 8000, 8001, 8002, ... for L1, L2, L3.... ????

Can i not simply use the below setting for each DVR:

L1: HTTP port - 81 ; Data Port 8001

L2: HTTP port - 82 ; Data Port 8002

L3: HTTP port - 83 ; Data Port 8003 and so on....

And then use the client software using ports 8000, 8001, 8002, ... for L1, L2, L3.... ????

Yes, you can... as I say, whether that will work is dependent on the client allowing you to set different ports.

Thanks. Will check the client software now and see if its possible.

Also, one very basic question:

Why are two ports (web and data) need to be forwarded?

Also, one very basic question:

Why are two ports (web and data) need to be forwarded?

I addressed that in an earlier post: "most DVRs with web clients use at least two ports: HTTP on port 80 for the initial incoming connection, and a second separate data port that the web client actually communicates and receives video on."

If you're running a "thick" client app, then you shouldn't need the web port - that's typically just there for a "thin" (browser-based) client, so the browser can connect and download the (usually ActiveX) client script.