CraigVM62

Requirements for License Plate Camera

So far, my only experience with cameras for catching license plates have been for a couple of storage facility installations. They were simple enough since vehicles would need to stop at a specific location so to punch their entry code in for the access gate. Night time illumination was as simple as a motion activated 500 watt halogen flood light mounted just below the camera housing.

I now have a residential installation where the customer wants to install a camera that will capture vehicles / plates that drive by their home. It is a private road that dead ends just a hundred feet past their home so vehicles do go by slowly. There is a large heave post just 5 feet back from the road that the camera can be mounted off of . The preference is to install a covert camera via a large fake custom built birdhouse. I was thinking of installing a box camera within which would allow for a fairly small hole for it to look out with a IR flood just below the birdhouse.

What specific features would I want to look for in a box camera for this application? I was planning on using a longer length lens in the 5-50mm range and guessing a DC Auto Iris version would still be for the best. The camera will be installed high enough that it won't be hit by even the high beams when the vehicle is in target focus area. Is there an ideal height that tends to provide best results ?

Thanks

179868_1.jpg