Sign in to follow this  
AMI

How much Hard Drive space is needed for DVR?

I am asking a lot of questions today, and I thank you all for helping me.

I’m trying to get this right the first time, so I need to make sure all my ducks are in a row.

The system I am building should have 8 cameras on a 120fps DVR card recording at 640x480. Assuming these cameras record 24/7, how much hard drive space should this use per day.

Does it depend on what brand of DVR I have due to proprietary compression agents or does it all come out about the same.

I used some of those online space calculators and I get space requirements of up to 1200gb for the 14 days I would like the system to record.

Another local company says that their 160gb system should record 8 cams 24hrs a day for over 18 days and I find that really hard to believe.

I can build a single logical volume hard drive rig from 80GB to 6000GB; I just need to know how much space I should expect.

I also figured that if I have a “Câ€

if you have 8 cameras running at 640x480 on motion then i would say make the D drive 250GB, that should give you 30days even with high activitity on the cameras with a MPEG4 system. if you are setting the cameras on constant recording then i would at least put in 500GB

yeah definetly have the OS and the software installed on C but setup the database on D only so it doesnt accidently run over any important os files,etc.. it will also make the system more stable

thats my thoughts

Basically here is what I will do, I'll stick in a 400, and if I need more, we can always add 2 more 400s and make a raid 5 out of it

I'll get 800GB out of it and should do just fine... if more is needed I will up it to 4

Anything above 1200gb I will need an extra raid card and that starts talking serious money in HDDs and cards... so yeah