Sign in to follow this  
J-Telectro

Philips Environmental Housing Heater & Fan question

Hi

I just bought a used Philips environmental housing. I estimate the thing to be 7-10 years old.

I can't find a model number or picture, but it is tubular, about 14-15 inches long, about 3.25

inches in diameter,with plastic end pieces and a round front window.

It opens by unscrewing two captive screws through the back plastic end cap and sliding

the top section forward and off the mount/camera sled.

There is no model number on it but it does have the Philips name on the side.

1. When I connect this thing both the fan and heater come on, even at 75 degrees F.

I checked the internal wiring and it looks like the fan is powered all the time with no

thermostat (?). Also the heater comes on and gets really hot even at 75 degrees

room temperature. There is what appears to be a thermal switch for the heater which

is mounted on the bottom of the sled with thermal compound.

Does anyone here know if this is a special model set up for cold temperatures or is

this standard for this type of enclosure? Any thoughts on the temperature where the

heater should shut off?

The camera in this enclosure had failed and I'm not sure if it was due to overtemp

from this heater. I have an Ultrak enclosure with separate thermostats for fan and

heater and so far it works well in this climate (Florida).

2. The front window in this thing is loose and I can't find any clips that held it. Are these

windows just glued in?

Thanks,

John

I'm guessing that your climate would be pretty similar to here in Australia & I've found no need for heater or fan in a camera housing for the 18 yrs I've been doing this.

2) yes the glass is usually glued in

Ok, thanks.

It looked like the window was simply glued in.

Our climate here does not get below 45 degrees F that often during the winter. We may have

two or three days that get down to freezing for an hour or two. I really don't worry about

cold, the problem here is humidity.

I found that the heat from the camera will keep the front window from fogging on the Ultrak

so I guess I'll try disconnecting the heater and fan on the Philips enclosure and see what

happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll have to wait and see what happens when summer comes.

I believe that I found information on the Philips enclosure, it's their model LTC9483. The scary

thing is that they list the internal temp range as -4 to 131 F (-20 to 55 C). The 131 F is above

the maximum operational temp for the camera that was in it. I'm sure that other enclosures also

can get pretty hot inside but I'd never realized how hot that could be.

John

Ok, thanks.

It looked like the window was simply glued in.

Our climate here does not get below 45 degrees F that often during the winter. We may have

two or three days that get down to freezing for an hour or two. I really don't worry about

cold, the problem here is humidity.

I found that the heat from the camera will keep the front window from fogging on the Ultrak

so I guess I'll try disconnecting the heater and fan on the Philips enclosure and see what

happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll have to wait and see what happens when summer comes.

I believe that I found information on the Philips enclosure, it's their model LTC9483. The scary

thing is that they list the internal temp range as -4 to 131 F (-20 to 55 C). The 131 F is above

the maximum operational temp for the camera that was in it. I'm sure that other enclosures also

can get pretty hot inside but I'd never realized how hot that could be.

John

I'm in Louisiana and I've got several bullets and haven't had any issues with them. We've ranged from 25 to 85 Fahrenheit this winter and I haven't had a problem. 75% of my cameras don't even have any protection from the elements except the bullet camera's housing, their just mounted on a pole or on a building. So far they've held up to severe rain and wind with no problems.

Hi Dave,

Yes, I don't think heaters are that necessary here in the south. The cameras that I have

are box cameras, so they have to be enclosed in housings for outdoor use. Outdoor bullets

would be a lot easier but they are outside of my current budget. All my cameras are older

used cameras that came from commercial upgrades.