jack in oz

LCD TV monitors & aspect ratios

I need to buy a monitor for my CCTV system. It will be mounted in an alcove above my kitchen fridge. The largest monitor that will fit in this space is a 32”. As I won’t be able to reach the monitor to switch it on and off, it will need a remote. That rules out a computer monitor, so I’m looking at a 32” LCD TV.

My no-name brand DVR (8ch, D1) has 2 video outputs. One is a BNC connector labeled “CVBS” and the other is VGA. From what I’ve read in previous threads, I will get better resolution if I use the VGA output. There are plenty of big-brand TVs with VGA inputs. The DVR and monitor are about 10m apart, so I will need a long VGA cable.

The resolution of the TVs I have researched is 1368x768 (16:9).

My DVR setup menu has only one selection for HD Output. That is labeled “VGA (1280x1024).” My research indicates this is actually SXGA with an aspect ratio of 5:4.

So, I’m confused. What is a 32” LCD TV going to do with the DVR’s 5:4 aspect ratio? Will it attempt to stretch the picture to 16:9, or will it letterbox the picture? I don’t really care either way, so long as the picture is not distorted too badly.

Your DVR produces standard VGA output. Further processing depends on the capability of your TV. For example my TV can several screen modes, it can stretch and cut images with different aspect ratios.... but all these amazing options don't work with VGA input! They work well with antenna input, AV input, S-video, component input, HDMI.. But image from the VGA input can be shown only as a " letterbox "

May be your TV can process VGA input or not, you need to test it with VGA input exactly.

If the DVR supports DDC (Display Data Channel, which allows the monitor to communicate its supported modes to the computer), it should switch to match what the monitor is capable of. If it doesn't do 16:9, it will probably use 1024x768 (standard XGA). By default, the monitor will probably stretch it horizontally to fill the screen, but should have a selectable option to display it un-stretched.

Soundy,

My DVR outputs 1280x1024 from the VGA port. According to the setup menu, this is the only resolution available from the VGA port. I don't think it has DDC.

Stanislav,

I will try to test the TV with a VGA signal.

Soundy,

My DVR outputs 1280x1024 from the VGA port. According to the setup menu, this is the only resolution available from the VGA port. I don't think it has DDC.

Is this WITH a monitor connected? Other options may not appear otherwise.