fmg00

Help with wireless IP project

Hi, im developing a wireless cctv ip project but I need a little help with the wireless part.

We 're talking of 18 Mobotix 3 Mp cameras

The furthest one will be about 0.8 miles from the central.

I have 6 cameras that won't have clear view to the central (there's a mount blocking) so I was thinking getting the signal to a camera that has clear view and from there to the central.

What's the correct approach for this?

I was thinking of using Ubiquiti, but I'm not sure what products would work for this

Thanks for your help!

Hi, im developing a wireless cctv ip project but I need a little help with the wireless part.

We 're talking of 18 Mobotix 3 Mp cameras

The furthest one will be about 0.8 miles from the central.

I have 6 cameras that won't have clear view to the central (there's a mount blocking) so I was thinking getting the signal to a camera that has clear view and from there to the central.

What's the correct approach for this?

I was thinking of using Ubiquiti, but I'm not sure what products would work for this

Thanks for your help!

The first issue is to determine the maximium likely bandwidth requirement for each camera.

Best thing to do is to set the camera up on the bench to replicate the settings you are going to use in the field and measure the resulting bandwith from one camera. Add a decent margin for radio network overhead and this gives you the building block to start your infrastructure design.

Once you have this information you can then start to look at wireless kit product options.

Don't forget to add another margin for system expansion.

Ilkie

Ubiquiti products could work well for this project, I'm thinking of a mix of Nanostation M5's and possibly Rocket M5's with omnidirectional antennas, and perhaps a pair of Nanobridge m5's.

Can you provide a basic drawing of the camera positions and distances, in reference to the hill and recording locations?

And, as ilk mentioned, what framerate are you planning for the cameras? (Mobotix cameras do pretty well with bandwidth when using their MxPEG codec).

Hi, thanks for the responses

The cameras will work at 15 fps, we aim to have 1MP res, but could settle for 800*600

Here's a very rudimentary diagram

8996908_layout02.jpg.91ea9a78ae3efe297fe80d956b52b17b.jpg

That's all manageable with Ubiquiti equipment, but I'm a little hesitant to just spell out a list of products without knowing more about the terrain, treeline and land obstructions, nearby possible sources of interference, etc.

Have you had any experience with Ubiquiti equipment? This is a pretty large project to get your feet wet with if you haven't done much with wireless or Ubiquiti equipment before.

Don't try and backhaul too many cameras to one access point at the base station - have multiple access points (say 5 cameras per AP) and sector / directional antennas.

Its better to have an over capacity network than one that is running at it's limit, and the Ubiquiti stuff is dirt cheap anyway compared to other wireless stuff.