ekonagel

Is this possible?

I have a customer that is looking for a surveillance system for a fairly large home. One of his requests is that it be connected to the TV's in the home to be used as monitors. How I would like to set this up is when an outside camera detects motion, somehow the system will automatcally turn the channel on the TV's to bring up the camera that detected the motion. How can this be setup?

Getting camera views onto the TVs is easy. Use a modulator to broadcast a analog or digital signal into existing coax network. Or if they have like Satellite, run a composite line to TVs with proper amp, etc. Hard part is getting the TV to automatically switch when there is motion!

Easiest way I see would be something I've seen in home-automation systems. Basically, an IR 'commander' that tells the TV to switch to a certain channel/input with a memorized code with a trigger from one of the DVR alarm outputs.

That could get quite annoying though.

As video motion from a CCTV system could be going off every few seconds depending on the system, location, weather, time of day etc.

And if they are trying to watch TV .. well

I've seen this technology in door answering systems when someone pushes the door bell the door station camera comes up on a TV, but for seperate cameras it's a different story.

As video motion from a CCTV system could be going off every few seconds depending on the system, location, weather, time of day etc.

I thought about that but I firgured on not going out more than 10'-15' from the house with the camera views and masking out certain areas.

I guess I would possibly try to tell them that it would be best if you simply offer the video to the TV on an easy-to-find input, like transmitting on a particular channel throughout the homes coax network. Then they can just press a couple buttons on the remote to look around.

I've found this system to work great for me.

I thought about that but I firgured on not going out more than 10'-15' from the house with the camera views and masking out certain areas.

Doesn't matter how carefully you mask it, you'll still get false triggers... probably right in the middle of the Superbowl-winning touchdown or the photo-finish at Daytona or something equally frustrating. It would be better to trigger such a system with PIRs or tie it into the doorbell or something.

If the TVs are "Smart" TVs, it may be possible to set them up so the signal pops up in a window or something... if you have a DVR that will work in a non-IE browser, you should be able to get it in the TV's browser; then you don't have to run separate wiring to the TVs.

i have only read the first two posts because i am in a rush so sorry if someone has already suggested this.

YES, it can be done. easily!

run a coax cable for video to each TV, AND run a two core cable to each TV.

find the pin out of SCART connectors online ans wire up the video output from the DVR to the video input pins on the SCART connector. then wire one of your two wires to the +SWITCH, and the other to the GND.

then at the DVR end, connect the video output to the coax cable that goes to the scart connector, and then get a 12V DC power adaptor and connect the - of it to the wire that connects to GND on the scart connector, then connect the + from the 12V power adaptor to the COM of the relay on the DVR and connect the wire that goes to the +SWITCH pin on the SCART connector to the N/O of the relay on the DVR.

in the DVR settings make it so when motion is detected, the relay switches on, and switches off again when there is no motion.

plug the scart connector into the TV and bobs yer uncle!

this is what i've done for my home with alarm inputs, if any camera goes into alarm (or if the doorbell rings) the TV flashes up with the correct camera.

i did have a video explaining and demonstrating it on youtube but my account got closed down because some idiot flagged my videos where i tested different types of cable in fires and youtube said they violated the T&C and removed them... and my account... the idiots probably didn't even watch the video! :@

i can remake the video and/or do you a circuit diagram if you want...

^Good idea... only works if OP is in the UK or other EU country that uses SCART. Never seen a TV in N.A. that had it.

oh, i thought scart was worldwide

HDMI must do the same sort of thing? perhapts you could do the same with a HDMI cable?

i've just made you a diagram anyway... i can't get to sleep :'(

183023_1.png

i can't remember where you connect the switch ground, i THINK it is to the video ground but i'm not sure so in the diagram i connected it to the 'screen'

i also used an all in one cable in the diagram, like the type you get with cheap cameras that has power, audio and video in the one connector. one of them would work, as would a CAT5 cable.

i hope it is of use...

I made such scheme 15 years ago for one of customers. I used multichannel RF modulator, IR remote control and had developed special device to control it. In that years I was keen on electronics and even the modulator had been made by my own hands