wezard

Remote LCD monitor idea/suggestion

I wanted a small monitor, so anyone looking in my carport door would see themselves, the door is windows from the waist up, so this is THE place a bad guy will peek in before entering. Regular CCTV monitors are big, ugly and expensive, the smaller ones cost as much or more than full sizes. I finally stumbled onto some 7", thin, monitors designed for mounting on the back of headrests in automobiles. About $65.00, so I ordered one.

These things are great, come with a flush mount trim, about 5/8" deep, look good and are incredibly easy to flush mount, with a pretty damn good picture, (aspect is wrong for a single camera, but even that isn't too noticeable, several aspects to chose from). I mounted it right beside the alarm control. I'm liking it so much, I'm going to order another and mount it beside the thermostat at the end of the hall, by the bedrooms, and display all cams on it. That way we can see without being seen, or going into the basement where the head is located.

I can see lots of possible uses for these, one source is Sonic Electronix, there are others. No idea how long these will last running 24/7, but for that price I can afford to replace them every year.

If anybody else has done this, I would appreciate any feed back.

Nice, All my local gas stations recently installed huge 55" LCDs that show you walking in.

It def gets your attention and is a reminder not to try anything.

Customer Awareness monitor is pretty common in retail... we used to use a lot of 21" Sony CRTs on VERY hefty ceiling mounts... most of them are now 19" LCDs.

Very common in retail, starting to get common in financial, I'd never seen it in resi, not that I do any resi. And most homes homes don't lend themselves to it, (that is if you want to keep the little lady happy) my house just happened to have a perfect layout for it, (and my fiancée likes it). Very discreet but effective. Everybody thats been here has commented, even the UPS and pizza delivery guy, all positive.

Years ago I did a small Credit Union that had a small budget, one cam at door, one in the ATM with transaction interface and 2 behind the teller line, one cam per 2 stations.

6 months later I came back to do PM and they had labeled the cameras, not big labels, but you could definitely read them. The one at the door said 'CAM 1', which it was, the two behind the line said 'CAM 7 and CAM 8'. Manager said "The bad guys are going to wonder where the other 4 are".