i have no knowledge when it comes to CCTV. that being said i have machinary where the opperator sometimes has to run from the front to the back to make sure that a wire is coming out of two rollers. what i would like to be able to do is take a small lcd monitor, about 2" screen and plug a web camera into it so that you can see the rollers from the front of the machine.

i would like to just beable to plug a camera into a screen and the image be able to be viewed. is this possible? any info would be a great help.

The main determining factor will be the environment & lighting. Things like how far or close can the camera be mounted & the light available will be just some of the questions you need to answer to determine the camera type. Webcams are not very good in poor light. If the subject wire is fairly small in guage you may need a contrasting backdrop to enhance its visability. Other than that it is simply a matter of connecting your camera screen & power supply & off you go .

The simplest setup for this might be a "rear view" camera that you'd normally install in a car - usually come with a small 3"-4" LCD screen and a remote camera that plugs ino it with a single cable. Connect the screen to power, and away you go.

184234_1.jpg

Go with something wired, rather than wireless, as you still need to power the camera somehow, and wireless is more likely to suffer from interference in that environment.

Don't forget that rear-view cameras are reversed image, think about it...

If you do go for one make sure you can flip the image. If you can that would

be better but otherwise it seems the obvious choice if you do not need to record.

Fix on a point on the camera image, then move the camera to the left the picture moves to the right therefore when reversing the image shows the wrong direction, so the image has to be flipped to work as a reversing camera.

Yeah I know it takes some getting your head around, I couldn't comprehend it at first.

Edited by Guest

rear-view camera idea is probably the easiest box solution you can just purchase and install. the bums at radioshack or any other similar chain should be able to get you a 12vdc adapter. this is probably the cheapest way to go too, but the reverse image might be an image as stated above.

a lot of cctv cameras come with a bnc-out you can plug directly into a tv monitor. you see these in use at convenience stores usually when you walk in, look up at a monitor and wave to yourself.

Edited by Guest

I agree that a rear-view camera is the best idea. Better to just buy something made to do exactly what you want right out of the box than to reinvent it yourself.

I assume you are in the US, and the power you have is 120 V AC? Just steal a power wart from any random appliance or device that uses 12 V. 12 V is one of the most common. Or, if you're in a big city, there may be a thrift store or computer store that sells orphaned power warts for very cheap -- two dollars each or something.

184368_1.jpg