GXS

Need Help Building System for Home

Hi everyone, I need some help with building a security/camera system for my home. Burglaries are getting out of hand in my area so I desperately need a system asap. I don't know anything about security systems and cameras so that's why I'm asking for assistance. I will be asking someone to install the system. I'm willing to spend about $350 to $400 per camera.

I would like to keep an eye on what's going on in my yard for when I'm not home or asleep. Very important is that the cameras need to be very good at night (there are a couple of lights in the yard however they're not very bright).

I've attached a diagram of my house/yard (the lot is around 130 feet wide and 200 feet deep) with the following notes:

RED = fence

YELLOW = garage

BLUE = doors

ORANGE = main entrance but not used

BLACK = gate

GREEN = small gate

PURPLE = lights

Thanks!

Freso2.jpg.49a0d01b62f3e2cb86ac3e6fccf539c0.jpg

With the budget it sounds like you have I would do an IP system.

Much better than analog.

Of course I'll let the other guys chime in, But untill they do....

Whats your complete budget for the entire project? This really is a "You get what you pay for"

I would get at least an 8 Camera system.

The only drawback to megapixel cameras here is that they're generally not great in low light. My first suggestion would be, of course, the CNB Monalisa line, such as the VCM-24VF. Works well with very little ambient light, and comes in well under the $350-$400 budget. With the extra money, you can then add external IR illuminators, or ideal motion-activated floods where more light is required.

It's going to be tricky to get full coverage of the yard or fenceline because of the shape of the building... how high/secure is the fence? Are intruders likely to be coming over the fence, or are they pretty much relegated to using the gates? Either way, I'd probably start with a couple cameras zoomed tight one the gates, to try to ID anyone coming in, since even if they can get over the fence, the gate is a natural first route to try. I've not used the box-type Monalisa cameras, but if they work as well with low light as the domes, that would be a good choice, along with a suitable lens (5-50mm should allow you to get tight enough).

Next thing is to try to narrow down what areas of the fence and/or yard are concerns, and then determine cameras and placements to address those.

I've also used the WCM-20VF, same sensitivity as the dome but in a bullet form factor. I disconnect the IR though and use other lighting (just unscrew the cover and unplug the wires). Good sensitivity, if you're worried about burglaries make sure you have a few that are zoomed in and a few for overview is how we do it.

If you have enough light (we use mostly CLF's) you can even run these in color at night and get a good pic.

The domes are nice in that people do not notice them as much perhaps. Kind of balancing act, are visible cameras a deterrent or do they say I have stuff to steal?

IMG_0396.jpg.dc93e35d4aeae1b9062f438319e251e7.jpg

With the budget it sounds like you have I would do an IP system.

Much better than analog.

Of course I'll let the other guys chime in, But untill they do....

Whats your complete budget for the entire project? This really is a "You get what you pay for"

I would get at least an 8 Camera system.

Indeed, I was thinking about putting 3 camera's on each side of the house to get as much coverage as possible.

The only drawback to megapixel cameras here is that they're generally not great in low light. My first suggestion would be, of course, the CNB Monalisa line, such as the VCM-24VF. Works well with very little ambient light, and comes in well under the $350-$400 budget. With the extra money, you can then add external IR illuminators, or ideal motion-activated floods where more light is required.

It's going to be tricky to get full coverage of the yard or fenceline because of the shape of the building... how high/secure is the fence? Are intruders likely to be coming over the fence, or are they pretty much relegated to using the gates? Either way, I'd probably start with a couple cameras zoomed tight one the gates, to try to ID anyone coming in, since even if they can get over the fence, the gate is a natural first route to try. I've not used the box-type Monalisa cameras, but if they work as well with low light as the domes, that would be a good choice, along with a suitable lens (5-50mm should allow you to get tight enough).

Next thing is to try to narrow down what areas of the fence and/or yard are concerns, and then determine cameras and placements to address those.

Thanks! There are various 40W lights in the yard so it isn't pitch dark. But the camera's need to be good at night. The fence is very high in the back and side so I don't really think someone can easily jump over the fence. I think a general overview of the yard is fine, except for the front where I would like to have an overview of the street as well. I think the problem with the yard is that it's wide. Placement is indeed another problem. I though about placing them evenly along the house. No, not that easy as that?

I've also used the WCM-20VF, same sensitivity as the dome but in a bullet form factor. I disconnect the IR though and use other lighting (just unscrew the cover and unplug the wires). Good sensitivity, if you're worried about burglaries make sure you have a few that are zoomed in and a few for overview is how we do it.

If you have enough light (we use mostly CLF's) you can even run these in color at night and get a good pic.

The domes are nice in that people do not notice them as much perhaps. Kind of balancing act, are visible cameras a deterrent or do they say I have stuff to steal?

Thanks! Great tips about placement. Indeed, visible cameras are a deterrent (ususally). I'm not really a fan of IR. Do the IR lights last a lifetime since they're on all night?

My first suggestion would be, of course, the CNB Monalisa line, such as the VCM-24VF. Works well with very little ambient light,

I can second that! I have three of them and they are very good in low light. See my snapshots from the ones I installed last week:

183991_1.jpg

The two top cameras are VCM-24VF's. Top right is only lit by a single 13W CFL (60w equivalent). Top left is the same 13W CFL with some assistance from a street lamp about 70-80 feet away.

Jason