streethacker

cat6 1000ft 2 cameras??

So I have a job coming up shortly that will be a 1000ft run I figured I would use cat6 for the cable my using some Video Baluns. My question is that they plan on useing 2 cameras in that location being cat6 has 8 wires total I should be able to run 2 cameras off of 1 cat6 wire...BUT will 1000ft be a issue? for power i plan on useing 12vDC, 18 channel, 12amp Power supply...Do you think this will be enough..The video baluns say they can do 1200ft color but they do not say if that is useing all the wire in the cat cable or just 1 pair.. Any help would be appreciated.

So I have a job coming up shortly that will be a 1000ft run I figured I would use cat6 for the cable my using some Video Baluns. My question is that they plan on useing 2 cameras in that location being cat6 has 8 wires total I should be able to run 2 cameras off of 1 cat6 wire...BUT will 1000ft be a issue? for power i plan on useing 12vDC, 18 channel, 12amp Power supply...Do you think this will be enough..The video baluns say they can do 1200ft color but they do not say if that is useing all the wire in the cat cable or just 1 pair.. Any help would be appreciated.

id assume that would be for each pair, with power supplied locally. i personally over that sort of distance wouldnt run power through the cat 5/6

For video, you should be fine. For power, you'll need to power them locally. 12vdc over that kind of distance requires 14/2 or 12/2.

Yah no power I tested it before i even saw every1s post..No power what so ever..Even double up on the wire for power still nothing...

Also it seems if i double up on the video wire it doesn't make the video single better makes it worse..

Powered them local all is well and1 set of wires going for video looks great 1000ft...

WHat is the max distance for a 12v Power Supply it seems 60ft would be the max distance useing cat6 and that calculator jxk716 posted...Am i correct?

Thanks again for every1 posting!

Cheap passive baluns will not do 1000', good ones should. If not go with active balun at one or both ends and it will work great. Power is the issue. Can you run some 18/2 along side the cat6?

WHat is the max distance for a 12v Power Supply it seems 60ft would be the max distance useing cat6 and that calculator jxk716 posted...Am i correct?

What is the minimum power requirement for the camera?

jxk716 12v 800ma with IR on.

Now im running into another issue..Just found out the company wants to trench the wires with the same wires the Lights are using...I think that will cause interference? They said they can add about 6 inches of dirt and separate the 2 wires but I still think that will cause issues? Would I be right..The lights are like lights in a parking mall..

It would help if the cameras accepted 24 VAC to minimize interference; shielded Cat6 would also help. But, yes, at least 6 inches from the 120V

jxk716 Im just going to run local power they are on a parking lot light fixture so there is a power outlet in the light we can use... You think 6 inches of dirt should be enough to block the interference? Also on http://www.cat5videobaluns.com/video-balun-troubleshooting-guide.html they say not to use a shielded cat cable.....I would think in this situation a shielded cable would be best?

Powering them locally from the light pole itself is the way to go. As for interference, nothing will really prevent the noise from 220 (usual pole lamp voltage) carrying into the UTP, other than distance. Keep them separated from the line voltage as much as possible.

Something else to consider:

Mounting cameras on light poles can cause issues with lightning. I use active and passive UTP Transceiver hubs (imagine 32 baluns in once nice rackmount box) where I am. Many years ago, before we moved buildings, our parking lot light pole cameras were powered at the pole, but had UTP running back to the recording end. I lost 7 ports on the UTP hubs from lightning strikes (and it only burnt the fuses in the cameras). Thankfully, they did not make it any further. It did also make the pair used for video unusable. Just remember, lightning can cause a VERY bad day. Please look into lightning protection for the cables coming back from those cameras.

I use fiber for exterior light poles now, so I don't have to worry about lightning.

Dirt won't do a thing to shield interference - it's all in the distance between the runs. Shielded might help... simply running both in metal conduit will probably make the biggest difference.

Allot of great info Thanks guys!

Last question...

If I where to use a 24v AC Camera useing cat6 cable...1 pair for video and 3 pairs for Power over 1000ft I would have a voltage drop of 5.1 giving the camera 18.9V AC...Now this is where im getting confused a 24VAC/12vDC camera should work fine because from what ive read the camera takes the AC current and coverts it to 12vDC current at the camera? Is this correct?

Now also the same situation above but useing 12v camera..I could use this adapter http://www.active-vision.com/Power-Converter-p/aps-acdc-1500.htm and it would take the 18V AC and covert it to 12vDC?

Thanks again!