able1

MultiSite Video

Hi all,

This may sound like a silly question but here goes.

Is it possible or practical to have a camera at 4 different sites(town) connected to a DSL Routers and being recorder at a 5th site.

In other words four remote sites. All have DSL. Install a IP Camera at each. The have all recorded at a fifth site to a DVR or Dedicated PC.

Customer thinks is should be possible but I disagree because of the band width required.

Any thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Les

Hi Les.

Good question. It's probably possible with a PC-based DVR and one heckuva broadband connection. But the PC would have to switch between the connections so one might see gaps in the recorded video. Frankly, it sounds kinda klugey to me, but perhaps someone here knows of software designed especially for this task.

I would think that a better arrangement would be to dedicate 4 PCs at the central location (one for each of the 4 camera sites), convert the digitized video received from each DSL connection into analog video, and then use a conventional (analog) DVR to record the 4 channels of converted video. This can be done rather easily and inexpensively, and allows one to take advantage of the many features offered by analog DVRs.

Here's what may be an even better idea .... my experience has been that network cameras also offer an analog video output. Why not buy 4 relatively inexpensive single-channel DVRs, placing one at each site, dedicated to the camera at that site? Then place the DVRs on the DSL line so that the central location can see the video (live or recorded) from each site simply by addressing the site's IP address.

That sounds like a more reliable method. What do you think?

Best wishes,

bill

Edited by Guest

If only on motion detection shouldnt be an issue. Basically its an IP video system, or NVR. If its only DSL then upload will be slow, you will need ADSL at least. Wont be the same frame rate or quality as local recording though, depending on the cameras and DVR used.

how do you think DOT (depart of trans) does the highway cams? IP cams will do it but you'll have to spend the money to get quality results. a simple single cam web server at each site will also do. ie. i tested a simple web cam called the ip9100, out of china. it's very simple and cheap and would do the trick for you. not sure what you want as far as quality end results.........

list your end result requirements and then shop.

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

I agree that it would be more practical to place a 4 channel DVR at each site so that some there is some room for growth in the future. Seems more logical to me.

Again thanks for the input.

Les

Able1,

just a minor detail ...

"I agree that it would be more practical to place a 4 channel DVR at each site so that .... "

In your original note you mentioned purchasing one camera for each of four sites. Consequently, unless you're planning for future expansion, you oughtta be able to get away with a single-channel device at each site.

Best wishes,

bill

just a minor detail ...

In your original note you mentioned purchasing one camera for each of four sites. Consequently, unless you're planning for future expansion, you oughtta be able to get away with a single-channel device at each site.

Best wishes,

bill

Quite true. The customer wants just one camera. However I feel it would be a bit short sited not to put in a 4 channel. I just need to explain it to him in a nice way.

Thanks,

Yall think yah have it tough .. i got a client that has 18 cameras that need to be wireless .. but cant use wireless ethernet, has to be wireless video like video comm etc ... cant figure how to do it without using 18 seperate TX and RX though, only way Ive looked at is the mux at the TX end and then a demux at the RX end ... any ideas ..?

4 Seperate buildings, 9 cameras at one, 4 cameras at another, 2 at another, and 1 at the furthest which is 2000'. The rest are from 40' to 150'. Has to be 1 centralised area on each building for TX as where the cameras are all metal etc .. line of sight outside not an issue .. 3 locations to 1 centralised location on the roof of the main building, 1 location for the other one on the other side of the roof as its a different direction.

Client didnt want to trench ..

Been waiting for a second reply from Video Comm after I sent them more details ... nothing yet ..

Rory ....

Does your client need all 18 (or whatever) cameras transmitting video simultaneously, or can he live with only one camera from each site transmitting simultaneously?

If he needs'em all transmitting simultaneously, hmmmm, that's a lotta different channels in use simultaneously. The most I'm familiar with is the Trango Falcon using 16 channels. Anyway ....

However, if it's the latter, one camera transmitting from each site, then I propose the following ....

At each site you place a single wireless video transmitter (I'm assuming for the moment that reception is not a problem ... no trees, LOS, etc) and a multiplexer. I guess any multiplexer would do, but one of my first choices would be the ATVideo Talon ( http://www.atvideo.com/Products/talon.htm ). And of course, the cameras would connect to the mux, and the selected video would feed the wireless video transmitter.

Now .... here's the trick of it: from any of the sites, one selects a camera via a wireless ethernet link to the mux. The mux switches to the selected camera, the video is fed to the wireless transmitter and received at the receiving site and displayed or recorded as desired.

Now, I can't speak for all muxes, of course, but in the case of the talon, you need one additional piece of equipment at each site because the talon can't be controlled over the 'net, but it can be controlled via an RS-232 stream. That device is an AXIS 2490 Serial Server (i.e. we're talkin' SoE, here). (http://www2.axis.com/files/userguide/2490/2490gs.pdf).

On the other hand, one oughtta be able to find a mux that CAN be controlled over a network connection, OR, use a DVR. DVR's can be used to perform multiplexing chores and can be controlled over the 'net.

Rory, I GOTTA bail out for 90 minutes or so to make an appointment with a client. This, as presented, is certainly not the solution you seek, but it might be a good first approximation.

Best wishes, See ya a li'l later.

bill

Thanks, not quite what they need though.

Basically its 2 16 channel DVRs at the main building, both rack mount RAID etc. 18 cameras are at remote buildings on the same site, while the remainder are in the main building all going to be on RG59 Siamese (drop ceiling throughout with flush mount vandal domes).

All of the cameras are Extreme CCTV cameras ... EX27's and a couple EX14's outside, with domes inside and a couple outside.

The DVRs are real time display and record, real time display using the DSP card (PC based), and 2x 32" LCDs wall mounted, with a keyboard controller to switch control between the 2 DVRs. I considered a single 32 channel DVR but require faster recording than they can "currently" offer. Besides 32 cameras on 1 display is too small.

Anyway, going to do some more research tonight and probably end up calling Video comm tomorrow. They have 32 channel 5.8Ghz rx's, though there is some limitation to it, Ill probably end up doing 16 with 5.8 ghz and 4 with 2.4Ghz.

no cordless phones 40' in the air where these are going to be mounted.

5.8Ghz is the less used of the frequencies, and totally free frequency at this location, which is an airport. The 2.4 im not 100% sure about yet.

We CAN NOT use wireless at any locations within a certain perimeter of ANY Airport in NY. Unless you want the FEDS up your bum.

We can here, 5.8Ghz has been approved. Also its scrambled.

Its the least of their worries.