SKINK

Yes, another noob

Hey guys, our house was broken into Feb. 29th and I am taking the steps now to better protect my family.

We have a security system, but it was during the day, and it wasn't on.

We live in a gated neighborhood, with camera's at the gate, but just found out that the camera wasn't even working that day

I would like to install a decent DVR system like this one:

Qvis Apollo HD 8

I'm not sure how many camera's we need, I'm thinking at least 6. I would like to access it online and through my phone if need be.

Not sure of the cameras we will need, any help would be appreciated.

Power supply, something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Supply-Box-CCTV-CCD-Camera-9-Port-12V-DC-Pigtail-/320555253221?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa294fde5

184889_1.png

This is a rough drawing of the house. the two lines signify french doors, single line is one door.

I don't really have a budget for the system, but I'd like to be around $1,500 if possible.

Thanks!

Night vision or IR is going to be important to me... we have a few knuckleheaded kids that think knocking on my door at 12am is funny, apparently the sight of me in my boxers, holding a remington 12gauge isn't scary enough for them...

I'd like to get their ugly mugs on camera.

The plan is to put the system on motion detection, so save HD space, going with a 500 GB HD.

I can run either cat5 or RG59. If I don't have the DVR and pwr supply in the same space, I'm guessing I'll have to make two runs, correct? Cat5 and maybe 18/2?

I'm mostly concerened about how many cameras we'll need to effectively cover the house.

Hopefully that drawing is enough info.

The diagram is a good start, but a lot plan would be useful. Where is the front approach? Where is the utility box? Where is the garage/driveway. Is the yard fenced and are there gates? How's the lighting? Can you improve the visible lighting (motion sensors are nice of course). Why do you think you want IR?

184893_1.png

Drawing with mods, stars are cameras. Not sure about the ones in the middle, on either side.

We are on a long, corner lot, there is a street on the front door, and garage door sides.

There are woods on the back part, pretty thick, I don't think that's going to be the access point for anyone looking to break in.

We do have a lot of flood lights, but I was hoping to install the IR cameras, and just keep the front light on.

Thanks for checking out my post.

A small-ish amount of visible light along with quality cameras will give a lot better facial images than cheap IR cameras. This one, for example (CNB VCF-24VF Outdoor Dome) works great with even minimal ambient light.

Even a small motion-activated flood near the cameras will be more effective, as the natural reaction when one is sneaking around in the dark and a light snaps on, is to look for the source of the light... and thus right at the camera.

BTW, if the house is being broken into while you're home, you might want to look into whether your alarm supports a "stay" setting, which is generally configured to arm the system and enable only perimeter sensors (door and window switches, for example) while leaving internal sensors (like motions) bypassed.

All good info Soundy, thanks!

I will look into adding quality motion detectors to the flood lights.

If you have enough info to tell me, how many cameras do you think I need?

The security system does have the stay and away settings, to be honest, the alarm was not on the day we were robbed.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Thanks!

Skink, can you maybe take a screenshot of your place on Google Earth (or Google Maps in satellite view) and post that, to get a better idea of the layout of the yard? It's easier for some of us to visualize that way

also a good idea to open up the photo in microsoft paint and blur out your address, in the middle

and at the bottom corner of the screenshot.

Might have been an idea to block out your address there, BTW...

Your camera locations look alright on the drawing. Front door cam, I'd probably put a bit to the right of the door so it looks down the path as well.

If you're not parking cars in the driveway, you might want the garage cam to have a little tighter view on the end of the driveway for clearer views of anyone entering the driveway (most people sneaking in from the road would probably walk ON the driveway rather than beside it - force of habit). I'd move that camera to the right side of the garage door though (bottom of the image), so it can see more along the curve of the driveway.

The one at the top-right corner, outside the screened porch, I'd maybe put on the inside corner of the porch instead, as porch door or windows would be a likely access point, and with putting the camera further in, you confine prowlers to the porch area.

Yeah, Go ahead and remove that pic.

I'm not being creepy but I saved some Bing shots that are alot better

to use for mapping out your security system.

I'll upload em in an hr. Gotta eat dinner. lol

Once on bing hit Arial view.

Pic is gone, I posted it while I was walking out the door and didn't think about the address up there.

I'm not all that worried, you guys seem like a good bunch and I'm pretty well armed anyway..

Thanks for the insight on camera location, which ones do you guys think I should use?

Not looking for top of the line, just something reasonable, that will work well in a low light situation.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the insight on camera location, which ones do you guys think I should use? Not looking for top of the line, just something reasonable, that will work well in a low light situation.

CNB VCF-24VF Outdoor Dome - good for probably the majority of situations. While there is no such thing as a "one-size-fits-all" camera, you'll have a hard time finding a better general-use camera at twice the price.

Well, I have the Dahua 700tvl box camera with a 2.8 f1.2 and enclosure.

I must say, it's amazing what a decent camera will do.

I'll post up some night shots tomm night when I'm home.

No IR and just street lights light up everything.

BTW, Heres some snaps of your home. I removed the address etc...

If you want me to remove them let me know.

I just thought I'd help ya out.

I also drew some Examples of how you could open them in paint and draw out your plans....

184970_1.jpg

184970_2.jpg

184970_3.jpg

example of what youi could do in "Paint"

184970_4.jpg

Allright, I will go with that camera Soundy, I didn't realize you had already posted that link once...

Thanks for posting the pics FF, I see you have 8 cameras up there, I think I'll start with 6 and go to 8 if need be.

I'm going to call Sean in the am and get everything worked out. I really appreciate your help...

Well those were for 100% Example only. lol

If you're looking at the CNB VM-24VF as has been linked a few times.

Here are some video samples of that camera.

skip to about 7min to get samples of people infront of the camera.....

3S-e12FmVAk

Night test

e3tdbZAGOFc

Heres my Box camera durring the daytime. Without setting the OSD menu which would result in better detail.

HBQQ75aqjYg