haltabb

New CCTV setup and questions with alarm notifications

New to CCTV and close to installing an Aver DVR with 4 cameras at my home, however I am now working through many issues such as only Apple PCs at home, the wiring, camera placement and only email alarm alert notifications (no text messages).

My main objective is to use the motion sensors to receive notification while I am away from the house. I would like to use the cameras to supplement my alarm system to monitor intruders in the home. Is there an easy way to turn the alarm software (and or motion sensors) on and off quickly and efficiently when I leave or return. I guess the ideal solution would be like a home alarm system where you click one button to turn on the software alarm settings and you have 30 seconds to leave. It appears to me the Aver software alarm settings are buried within multiple levels of menus with no way to toggle them on and off quickly. Am I missing something or is no one using their cameras in this way.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I don't know anything about Aver products, but relying on video based motion detection will yield false positives. Birds, tree branches in the wind, cloud shadows, etc all look like motion. Another option is to use something like an Optex passive IR unit to connect to the I/O of the Aver box. Use that to trigger alerts. Then switching it on and off is just a matter of wiring in a switch to the IR unit that you can use to disable it.

Thanks, that's a good idea to add IR. I was thinking cameras with motion only inside to limit the false alerts.

Also, from your response I get the sense that maybe cameras are not the best fit for motion alerts or that others don't really rely on cameras for that purpose.