ljarrald

does a 'brick housing' exist?

basically there is a location where i need to mount a camera on a wall.

i'd prefer to use a box camera but i don't want a housing sticking out.

does a housing the size of a brick exist, so i can remove a brick, insert the housing as if it were a brick, install the camera into the housing, and then put a cover on it so the camera can see out yet still be flush with the wall?

like in my diagram below...

if one doesn't exist or the cost of one is ridiculously high then i will just make one. i have some perspex and my friend is a joiner so i can use his tools and materials to make a box and stuff.

if i do end up going the DIY route, is there anything i should know?

i was thinking of just making a cube the size of a brick with one side open that i will then attach perpsex to. but will it need a heater/ventalation, etc?

thanks in advance...

the diagram on the left is as if you're looking from the top (which of course you won't because there will be bricks on top of it)

the diagram on the right is as if you're looking at the wall.

186253_1.png

What an idea. Make some and if they are good I want a sample.

damn, didn't think of that.

its a public forum too...

bye bye my million pound idea, lol

i don't even know when i'll have the time to make one to be honest. it will take me a couple of days because the inside is going to be complicated and its quite low down on my priorities list.

but i will make one... eventually

Seems pretty simple.

Make a steal box the size of a brick with a top, bottom, back, left and right side (the back, left, and right side could all be one piece with the left and right sides bent to 90 degree angles). Then weld the top and bottom to this piece and attach your clear cover to the front and whallah...

yeah, but then mounting the camera would be a pain.

i like to over complicate things so the camera would be on a sort of pivot type thing that can be removed to make first cable fix and connections easier.

i also want it to look good when looking at it from the outside so that part will need some TLC when making.

i'll take some pictures at various stages of making it for you guys to see.

i'm not in any particular rush though so it will probably be a couple of months.

A standard UK house brick is 215 × 102.5 × 65 mm. I'd be surprised if you could get a box cam into that sized housing and still be able to set it at a big enough angle to see out. If you made your housing so it went back into the wall cavity you might be able to do it. Not sure how big a standard UK wall cavity is.

this will be on the side of an old coal shed, the wall is three bricks thick so going deeper than one brick isn't a problem.

i am using a box cam because i got it free and its perfect for the job. i could use board cams if i wanted to (and i probably would if i had a day/night one) and could probably fit more than one inside a single 'brick housing'