d-eye

remote viewing with a router

Guys, can anyone help?

I have a capture card operating behind a conexant router but don't know how to remote view through the router. I think it has something to do with port forwarding but I don't know how to do this.

cheers

Ian

Hi D-Eye.

I routinely use port-forwarding, both on client sites when appropriate and here at the office, but, having zero experience with Conexant, I'm afraid I cannot offer much specific help. How 'bout Conexant Tech Support? Can they help? They would certainly know all the secret codes and hand-shakes involved with configuring port-forwarding on their router.

The rule-of-thumb seems to be "Different Strokes for Different Folks" regarding port-forwarding and routers. Some routers will port-forward only one device, other forward many devices, and a very few forward nothing. And I think they all use a slightly different procedure to configure the port-forwarding. It's generally a simple procedure, but ya hafta know which menu to use, which button to push, etc, and that changes from vendor to vendor.

I favor D-link because my experience with their routers has been great; they support numerous forwarded devices reliably and inexpensively. Cisco also offers several dynamite routers, but one pays a significant price for that flexibility. I also liked Farallon but alas, they've fallen by the wayside, acquired by Proxim and as I recall, are strictly wireless now.

There's probably someone here that knows all about Conexant, but if he or they are out on a service call at the moment, you might contact Conexant (or just Google the user's manual for your particular router).

Best wishes,

bill

Edited by Guest

Whimper and curl up into a ball. Connexant generally embeds the router with the modem. If you can change the settings is up to the ISP. Who are they and what is the model number?

What is the Capture card, and what is the Router Model?

Is the Router a Modem also like Thomas said?

Basically yes, you will need to port forward to the DVR, forwarding to the local IP assigned to the DVR, and the ports the DVRs Client Software uses.

This is called Applications and Gaming or Servers .. depending on the router brand ..no experience myself with this Router but if you post the model one of us can help you out.

Rory

thanks guys!

try not to be too technical with me

info as requested:

This is all i could find on the router

Firmware Version: ETHADSL_USB_080902_REL8P

Customer Software Version: 080902_REL8P2

It is a wireless router with 4 ports for cables to thr network

the card is an Ether8404 from Wave-P

I have used all there cards a fair bit & remote viewing isn't great but works, its just this problem/issue with using a router.

cheers

ian

Alright, first thing to do is go to Start->run->cmd-> and type in IPconfig. Let us know what IP address is.

Is this router connected directly to the wall or through a modem?

ip 10.0.0.8

connected directly to the phone line

BT supply the broadband but this will change to Tiscali soon & the PC is connected via a network cable to one of the routers ports (& not wireless)

cheers

The first thing you need to achieve is to make sure your Internet Provider will give you a Static I.P. address. When you are on the net your address can change unless you ask for a static one, you wouldn't ask the mailman to try to deliver you mail if you ket changing places so that is the first step.

This address will need to go into your router (obviously you will have to do this before you can view the internet at all), this address bocomes the main address, almost like a front door to a shopping centre.

Obviously a shopping centre has many shops and many places you can go (unless of course you are like me and only shop for clothes) so when you get to the front point you need to look at the map (routing table- a set of rules in the router telling you where to go) decide what you want and follow the directions (rules) to get there.

If you wanted to see the doctor in a shopping centre then you would still go to the first address but then you would have a second address to go to, this is called an internal address, however internal addresses can also change so we also need to make that static.

What I am trying to say is that many things contact your router (front adress) and your router needs to tell those elements where they need to go to get to see whom they need to see (which computer on the network and what I.P. address) it does this through rules and ascertaining your purpose at first.

When the router recieves information from the outside it happens on several ports (several front doors) and depending on which door the information comes in the router then uses its port forwarding rules to direct it to the correct relating internal I.P.

Look in your router settings for "Port Forwarding" it is sometimes hidden under the Firewall section, from there direct your ports that your DVR uses to connect to the I.P. of the DVR on your network.