jboyle00

Mounting Cameras from High Ceiling

Hello All,

Installing a 32 camera system in an open ceiling environment. Ceilings are 16ft high. I would like to drop some dome cameras down six foot from the ceiling using conduit. Any ideas on how to mount the cameras to the conduit and the ibeam?

Thanks in advance.

JB

I am thinking about going with the gang box on ibeam, conduit and the gang box with camera installed to plate for the game box. The problem I am having with this scenerio is mounting a dome camera to metal. Any thoughts?

I am thinking about going with the gang box on ibeam, conduit and the gang box with camera installed to plate for the game box. The problem I am having with this scenerio is mounting a dome camera to metal. Any thoughts?

What's the problem?

I guess if you had to you could use something like this Bosch (WZMB.001) product but a quick google search landed it at roughly $25. In reality all you do is mount a standard metal blank plate (with center hole) to the box and then use some self tappers to secure the camera.

187859_1.jpg

I wouldn't need a center hole in the plate because the box is going to connect to conduit and then the plate to the box. I can use self tappers into the plate to mount the camera

I wouldn't need a center hole in the plate because the box is going to connect to conduit and then the plate to the box. I can use self tappers into the plate to mount the camera

And where will you securely hide the wires coming from the back of the camera?

I don't think "security" of the wires is a big concern at that height. Looks, maybe...

The first thought I had was pinching a wire but, yes, you're right...unless they get this out! Like Sol from the Jerkey Boys said: "you never know; you never, never know"

187865_1.jpg

I typically don't use conduit to drop it down. I will use threaded rod screwed directly into the beam clamp and simply zip tie the cable to the rod. The only time that is an issue is with a PTZ because the motors make the rod shake. In that case I will use a rather healthy size rigid conduit for stability, but the rest is pretty much the same.

I have also just attached a piece of sheet aluminum to the face of a 4 gang box on the camera end (much larger than the box) and mounted camera looking in multiple directions to one sheet of metal. Just food for thought I guess... good luck!

If looks are an issue, you can even paint the rod or box or all of it... whatever's clever!

Put it through a hole in the camera mounting plate, then put a nut on it (with some threadlocker, preferably).

What type of cameras? There should be a pendant mount kit for them which generally attach to the camera and let you thread it onto conduit. Attach a box to the ibeams using beam clamps or fashion something out of unistrut.

Here are some shots of the types of clamps used from my building. Forgive the angles; taking the pictures in a tight sport up on the ladder.

Just FYI

IMG-20120410-00234.jpg.64bf1feff38b7fed4ee62a12fef13fb8.jpg

IMG-20120410-00235.jpg.b3aeda64acde5790da1212bf22908bdb.jpg

A total of 32 dome cameras that need to be mounted from ibeam. I plan on using i beam clamps run the wire down through EMT and then I will trying to find a housing unit that will connect to the conduit with out using another gang box.