digi21

New system guidance

Hi Im new to the world of cctv and would like some guidance on what kind of system I should get for my house.

Im buying a new house and I wanted to get it installed for security.

Its a four bedroom house with 3 levels (Up, main and base). I would like to install a cam in each of the bedrooms if possible as the house is kind of away from anyone and could be a point of entry.

So with the cameras it would be 4 cameras upstairs in each room, on the main floor I would like one in each of the 3 rooms, so thats the front room of the house, the den, and the kitchen and living room. I would like atleast one camera in the basement just to cover all entry points.

I would consider putting one in the front at the door and one at the backyard, but they would be less critical as if someone wanted to get in they probably wouldnt care if they were there.

So thats 8 cameras overall, and I wanted them to record on detection of motion, and let me know if there was any sort of movement within a set period of time like when everyones at work.

I was thinking of running a nvr so I dont have to do the wiring and use a homeplug to make a network for the cameras to communicate with the nvr. Is this a ok idea?

Please could you help me and let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions, or recommendations.

Im new to this so anything would be helpful.

I think it would be a worth wile investment for when we have kids and we need to monitor them or the baby sitters or something. It's only me and the wife at the moment so we would only want the cameras motion activated.

What is your budget for this project? If you want to use IP Cameras it's probably best to run Cat5 to the cameras and power them either locally, PoE or run separate wire to the cams terminated at Central Power Supply.

Although I am not 100% certain what a homeplug is (other than a network adapter that runs over the power line) for the same (or less) cost you can run Cat5 - far more reliable.

And I can't quite get my mind around the cameras in bedrooms. Yeah you'll have them for baby monitoring but their not babies forever; other adults will stay over and get a little freaked out with a camera in their room. Besides, maybe just use a good visual/audio baby monitor for those years and sell it on Ebay once they get older. That combined with using good common sense/discretion when hiring a baby sitter and you will be fine.

If you have to mount them inside stay with common areas like living room and halls, landings etc. Hopefully you will get decent face shots of a bad guy; if you had more outside (or, at least 1 or 2) you might be able to get a good shot of the getaway car or anything else that might help the police like last direction of travel etc. You mention having cams at entry points. If you go this route you will need a camera with either good back lighting or wide dynamic range (WDR) - preferably the ladder - or forget about any decent image when the door opens during the day (especially if it is sunny out).

For camera location I guess it comes down to evaluating what is your greatest threat? Is it the baby sitter? Perpetrator?

Yea I see what you mean about the bedroom cameras, guess I just wanted to be a bit over protective over my kids in the future with all the stories I'v heard.

A homeplug is basically a cat5 alternative, so you put on end near your modem and the other near the item that needs to be connected, so it means you dont have to run cat5's all over the house and can just use the power lines in your house as the cat5's. They are reliable too.

With what you have said about the cameras on the outside it makes sense, I will be looking to put at least one at the front and one at the back.

What system do you recommend, for something like this. I probably will end up with the 8-10 cameras around the house, so I'm not too sure what one to get. My budget is as low as I can keep it, but I know I would rather have a dedicated system rather than running everything to a computer. NVR system that would capture motion is what I want, not sure what cameras to get though. In the house I think I should get the black domed ones as it would be weird to have cameras pointed at you.

Any suggestions.

A homeplug is basically a cat5 alternative, so you put on end near your modem and the other near the item that needs to be connected, so it means you dont have to run cat5's all over the house and can just use the power lines in your house as the cat5's. They are reliable too.

I wouldn't rely on this TOO much - they do have several limitations. For one, your speeds will be sharply limited if you put the two modules on opposite legs of the power phase. Their speed also tends to be affected by interference on the power runs, especially circuits with high-current motors. Large draws kicking in (like a fridge starting up) may cause momentary drops in speed or even connectivity.

Also, I don't think they're designed to use a lot of them on the same circuit.

Your best bet is still to pull Cat5e wherever possible - if necessary, maybe run all the cameras in an area to a switch, then connect that switch to the network over the homeplugs.

What system do you recommend, for something like this. I probably will end up with the 8-10 cameras around the house, so I'm not too sure what one to get. My budget is as low as I can keep it, but I know I would rather have a dedicated system rather than running everything to a computer. NVR system that would capture motion is what I want, not sure what cameras to get though. In the house I think I should get the black domed ones as it would be weird to have cameras pointed at you.

Any suggestions.

You mention NVR (network video recorder) which requires IP cameras (or at least analog cams with encoders)and are more expensive. At my home I have an analog set up: 4 channel Qvis Zeus 1 GB HDD. The unit is perfect for my needs. An upgrade (and not that much more expensive) is the Apollo line - slightly more capabilities.

As for cameras take a look at CNB VCM 24VF; for indoor take a look at his EyeSure turret or take a look at the KT&C KPC-VBN190NHWX Mini Color Bullet. Here is a video demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D3AIc0VldY&list=UUte5HCNdq3ynVkbXN9Nwmow&index=10&feature=plcp. Keep in mind there is no IR on that camera so, when mounting indoors, you may need some light . I would lean towards the CNB. And, like Soundy says it is best to pull the Cat5, use a balun at the DVR and camera ends. You can then use 2 pairs for power and leave the 4th pair for expansion if you ever go to IP. Don't mess around with homeplugs - it's too much of a gamble and not what you want to use for a reliable camera set up.

You mean 1TB?

At my home I have an analog set up: 4 channel Qvis Zeus 1 GB HDD.

I do. Sorry for the typo. I guess 1GB would not hold the 7 weeks I get on the TB