jack in oz

Bosch LTC 0495 settings

I just purchased a used Bosch LTC 0495 with Fujinon 1:1.4, 6-14mm lens. I intend to use it outdoors to monitor my driveway.

I have been going through the OSD trying to set what I consider to be the most appropriate settings for day/night use. I will eventually be illuminating the area with a halogen floodlight on a PIR.

Most of the settings are self-explanatory, but a couple have got me wondering.

SENSUP is adjustable from 0 to X10. I have set it at x2 because I have read on this forum that high levels of sensup can cause blurring of the image. I will experiment with the camera on a tripod tonight before I put it in the housing, but it would be good to hear what SENSUP settings other 0495 users set.

I have set BLC to ON because there is a lot of glare off the concrete during the day. Does BLC have a detrimental affect on night performance?

If anyone out there has a record of what settings they use on their 0495s I would love to see it. There seems to be an infinite number of permutations of settings possible, so I'm trying to stick with the default or AUTO settings where possible. Any general tips for using this model of camera would also be gratefully received.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Mike_VA knows about the Bosch cameras along with some of the more experienced installers on here.

I'm also using an LTC0495 to monitor my driveway. I use either the X2 setting or Sensup off.

The X2 does create some blurring.X2 and X4 make big improvements in a dark picture. I don't notice

too much improvement above X6. The blurring/delay get pretty bad at X4 and above. You can test

the effect of the Sensup settings by putting the camera in a dark place and waving your hand

in front of the lens (as long as it is dark enough so the Sensup is active and you can still see your

hand).

I'm using my camera looking out through a window with a computer monitor anti-glare screen

between the window and the camera to hide the camera from people outside the window.

This decreases the amount of light to the camera but it is still adequate at night.

I have a street light about 60 feet from the camera.

I am currently using my camera in the color mode, both day and night. You can adjust the level

at which it switches to the night mode. I think I am set at -15 but I'd have to check.

I haven't noticed any effect on the low light performance with the BLC on, I leave it on all the

time.

Mike and others on here that have more experience than I do can probably help you more with

these and other settings.

The tripod is a good idea. I've been testing all my cameras in a housing mounted on a tripod.

But I learned the hard way that you want to use a sturdy metal tripod if you can and not

the weaker plastic ones!

Best regards,

John

Hi John,

thanks- that's great info. Interesting that you get good night performance in forced color mode. I guess a street light gives a lot of illumination at 60ft. If I understand this camera correctly, the IR cut filter will remain in front of the lens in color mode, even at night? Obviously you prefer to have the benefit of a color picture, rather than the higher resolution of monochrome at night?

I'll try the hand-waving trick when I'm setting the SENSUP. We had a thunderstorm last night so I had to bring the camera inside and didn't get to play with the settings.

Hopefully Mike_VA will be along shortly to share his knowledge too.

Regards,

Jack

Default settings are pretty good. Sometimes I turn down the AGC a bit (I think I usually end up around 15), reduces the noise in the picture. Put default shutter at 1-250s, it will still do sense up at night but during the day does a better job with fast moving whatever. Have not noticed a difference with BLC (back light compensation) affecting things at night.

The one spot where I have strong backlighting I use a Panasonic 484 WDR, this does a better job.

The main thing is actually walk testing your setup, and seeing if you can get a good enough picture for your purposes. If the driveway is 2 cars wide you may want more than one camera. If you have enough light I'd consider leaving it in color - easier to identify in color plus don't lose that time that the camera switches over.

If you're using the camera for identification 2x senseup is the max I'd use, using a fast lens f1.0 will also help you keep this at 2x (1-30s) or 1x (1-60s). The ideal is no senseup and color if you have enough light. Hope this helps.

I'm using my camera looking out through a window with a computer monitor anti-glare screen between the window and the camera to hide the camera from people outside the window.

More free advice (family curse)...

If you don't mind B&W you could also try some night vision material (passes only IR), you can get pieces cut on ebay. I think 12x12 is $25. Looks black from the outside, does not hurt the sensitivity. I tried some smoked plexi, this is much better. During the day the sun provides more than enough IR. As long as your night lighting has some IR (i.e. not LED or CFL) this works very well at night too.

Hi Mike,

thanks for the info. I'll try the settings you recommended today/tonight and see how they go. I will also check price on a f1.0 IR corrected lens and see if the budget allows it.

Regards,

Jack

Hi Jack and Mike,

The street light does give a good deal of light, the picture is a little dark and noisy but not bad.

I'm still experimenting, I've tried it also in the auto mode but I prefer the color at night.

I think the only way to switch the IR filter out is to go to BW.

I am using 2 cameras to cover 2 cars that I have parked in front as Mike advised.

More free advice (family curse)...

Not a problem, I appreciate the help.

If you don't mind B&W you could also try some night vision material (passes only IR),

Interesting you would suggest that, this weekend I went around looking for an old VCR or something

that has the IR transparent plastic on the front,I hadn't thought about Ebay,thanks!

I also tried some smoked and mirrored lenses from dollar store sunglasses but like plexiglass they

weren't that great.

Sometimes I turn down the AGC ....

I need to do that also. The BW performance of my 0495 is very similar to the LTC0355 except

that with the default settings the 0495 is slightly brighter and noisier. I've only noticed a slight

difference in resolution between the 2 at night as long as a person is fairly close.

John