K Jones

Problems with Video Analytics

Hello people,

I having a lot of problems with a video-analytic system. The cameras are the following ones:

AXIS P1343 http://www.axis.com/es/products/p13_series/

Cameras lens where changed to other brand that I really dont know which one is. The camera is also inside a Videotec Verso Housing HPV42K1A000.

They are situated like 3-4 meters above ground level in an outdoor environment doing something similar to a "digital fence".

Problems: Lightning is killing me. Alarms are constantly popping due changing lightning. When I check this false alarms I see that the lens changes to a darker color scheme, making the zones of interest send an alarm to the system.

Im starting to think that the problem can be the lens of the cameras. I have changed the configuration (sensitivity, frame rate, object size) and tried some other things but can´t reduce the number of false alarms.

Pleace, can somebody with a minimum level of knowledge in this area help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Whose analytics are you using?

The lenses should not be a factor here - analytics need to be told what's what and what to look for, and then they just watch for whatever changes you tell them to watch for. If you teach the system that the lighting changes are normal, it shouldn't be a problem.

Im using Honeywell DVM.

The thing is that those lightning changes (something that I cant control since the cameras are outdoor) are causing false alarms.

Maybe the regions of interest im defining are not the best choices. I really improved the system perfomance making little squares in those regions instead of a big square, is that a reasonable solution?

Thanks for your take on the lens, Soundy. Sometimes when you dont find any explanation to the problem you try to find it in the most little things.

Hmmm not familiar with their implementation, so I don't know what else to tell you... in general, if you're defining something specific for the analytics to look for, such as a person moving through the frame, it shouldn't be affected by lighting changes.

Are you sure it's not a separate "motion-detection" function that's triggering the alerts?

It might be just that. Maybe this system is just a "Motion Detection " technology with some extra features that can make you think its "Video Analytics". Ill try to upload some pictures of my settings and maybe somebody finds something that I should not do.

You can accuse me of bias, but Honeywell does not have an analytics option suitable for outdoor use. Add-on software or not, that is not their area of expertise.